Welcome to synergistics
Synergistics is the art and science of building synergy and collaboration, with the principles of collective intelligence, for prosperity and sustainability in turbulent times.
To live together on a small planet, we need new ways of organizing cities and economies and societies. This calls for a new operating system, a Symbio-polis based on collaboration and collective intelligence.
The experimental space for such ideas is the Collaboratorium / a.k.a. Mind-Lab (‘Laboratory of Collective Intelligence’). This is open to anyone working on sustainable futures – local and global – with deeper layers of value, wider communities of interest, and further horizons of change…
And so you are invited to join the Mind-Lab community for updates & invitations
The source-book for many of these ideas is a handbook to the ‘perils and promises’ of the 21st century – the Symbio-polis of our civilization with its many deeper layers in the Deeper City – (here are some reviews).
On this site you will find 5 main pages (each with an overview below) –
- Collaboratorium/ Mind-Lab – overview of this experimental zone for learning & thinking on collective intelligence.
- Themes – 3 main programs including ‘cities, ecologies and technologies’, with a Foresight 3.0 program on the overlap.
- Projects – recent and ongoing projects which explore & demonstrate the potential of collective intelligence
- Toolkits – a set of practical methods tools and guidance:
- Resources a library of visual pathway mappings (based on the book), for cities, economies, ecologies, technologies, politics and others (in progress)
Upcoming open events
- Foresight 3.0 special issue – launch event 13th April – details on Foresight-3-0-special-issue, also with the Foresight 3.0 Forum
- Eco-wars-3.0 – next session March 24th : we explore the interactions of climate tipping points with human tipping points, and invite co-authors / participants for co-production of a ‘collective climatic intelligence’ .
- Eco-wars-3.0 – South Asia April 19th 1pm BST – exploring this most crucial case study in the most climate -challenged region anywhere –
- Local-wise – March 30th 2023: launch of the innovative project ‘Urban participatory research & knowledge loops’ – with local demonstration exploring how useful knowledge is shared & co-produced;
- Future wise cities: towards a ‘collective urban intelligence’- Feb 8th,12:00 pm – 1:30 pm Cities are the hubs of transformations such as low carbon, social justice and economic resilience. Such changes are generally inter-connected (social, technical, economic, political, cultural): complex and dynamic (beyond simplistic solutions): and often controversial (multiple actors with conflicting agendas). Details on Future cities seminar – Joe Ravetz – 08-02-23 –
Planetary urbanist resilience? May 25th 2023. – in the China-UK project on International resilient cities with UN Habitat, we bring new methods of risk / resilience analysis, to look beyond the city limits at whole urban / peri-urban linkage systems.
- World Peri-Urban Day – (date tba) We launch the new Global Peri-Urban Initiative working out of Chennai – along with the completed global project Peri-cene: and the new report / compendium on Peri-Urban-Rural Linkages for the UN Habitat Urban-Rural Linkages program.
New projects & initiatives
- Foresight-3-0-special-issue, & the Foresight 3.0 Forum
- China-UK project on International resilient cities in conjunction with UN Habitat, we bring new methods of risk / resilience analysis, to look beyond the city limits at whole urban / peri-urban linkage systems.
- Eco-wars-3.0 – This unique and very topical project explores the interactions of climate tipping points with human tipping points. Each side is hyper-complex, volatile & vulnerable – with the synergistic approach, we invite participants for co-production of a ‘collective climatic intelligence’ .
- Ground zone / Liveable city toolkit: The Ground Zone project is an Innovation Lab collaboration between the Manchester Urban Institute, and architects / designers Callison RTKL.
- Local-wise – (Urban participatory research & knowledge loops) – exploring new forms of urban knowledge in Living Lab context, and how they are co-produced between research, policy, business and civil society.
Welcome to the book
The book is about the Symbio-polis – co-evolution, not only of material cities but the civilization which produces them – of which there are many deeper layers in the deeper city…. and for the book here are various materials –
Deeper City quick tour – overview presentation of ideas, stories, methods and tools
Deeper cities wider views – Joe Ravetz in conversation with Effie Amanatidou – for the backstory and forward look
- Deeper City – Ch1 – prologue – bigger ideas, wider visions, FAQs and how to use the book…
- Example keynote: CHAI – ‘Collective Human-Artifical Intelligence’ – for the International Smart City Forum at the World Artificial Intelligence Conference Shanghai – WAIC-Joe-Ravetz.mp4 (with dual language script WAIC-Joe-Ravetz-Chinese-English)
A wider set of resources are shared with the visual thinking ‘sand-pit’ of Urban-3.0 – further samples from The Book: the Mind Games and Political Games with visual storylines : background on the Synergistics ideas & methods: deeper and wider insights and experiments in Visual Thinking.)
Virtual future-wise hub
we are pleased to offer a unique meeting place / virtual bar / water garden and lookout point – (courtesy of Mozilla Hubs) –
perfect for informal networking after intensive meetings…. details on Future wise hub – basic guide
Collaboratorium – overview
In this Collaboratorium / Mind-Lab we aim to explore the frontiers and principles of ‘collective intelligence’, its methods and tools, and practical applications. We aim to demonstrate the pathways forward, with analysis, examples, guidance, methods & tools.
Following a first phase of experimentation (2020-22), a forward plan is now forming with 4 main strands:
- Projects & case studies: experiments & applications, new & ongoing: some have open invitations to participate
- Community & dialogue: debates and symposia, ‘lab tours’, online comment;
- Research & publication: compile special issues and a multi-author ‘CI-Book’ (‘collective intelligence book of online knowledge’);
- Policy & practice: disseminate results, methods & tools, with ‘white papers’ & practical guides.
This is planned as a multi-year program, exploring a range of topics in 4 key themes and their intersections:
- City-wise theme: ‘Peri-urban-wise’ & ‘MCR-wise’
- Smart-wise theme: ‘CHAI-wise’ & ‘Local-wise’
- Eco-wise theme : ‘Climate-wise’ & ‘Bio-wise’.
- ‘Foresight 3.0’ is at the intersection of these clusters, with studies on collective intelligence, futures methods & applications: (also, ‘Pandemonics-3.0’ was a key focus 2020-22).
Forward thinkers and interested co-authors are invited to join these workshops as they come up on the links.
For comments or queries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Projects – overview
This is the ‘inhouse’ Collaboratorium – an experimental zone for a ‘collective intelligence laboratory’. Here the synergistic methods are being developed and tested in a range of projects, large and small, from around the world.
The disruptive power of smart technologies is now emerging. This calls for a new agenda – ‘Smart-Wise Inclusive Cities’ (SWIC), which steer the ‘smart power’ towards social equality, sustainable livelihoods & open governance. SWIC-India is a small pilot to test the synergistic methods, ready for scaling up to global level
Qatar may be at a crossroads in environmental history. With the world’s third-largest natural gas reserves its wealth is huge, but vulnerable. Everything could change with international climate change policy, market effects, or national priorities. For the shift to renewable energy, there is a clear advantage for the first mover. All this points to a Foresight-III approach to building capacity, for collaborative learning, thinking, creating and doing.
Water governance is split across public, private and civic sectors: there are many gaps, overlaps and barriers to integrated catchment management. To design more effective governance structures, we can use Synergistic principles. Then we can address the whole of the water cycle: supply, demand, water quality, groundwater, flood risk management and drainage.
From space, the human impact on the planet is seen by the spread of cities, but cities themselves are spreading into much larger areas of sprawl, around and between them. The planet has arguably entered the ‘Peri-cene’ – a new global human-environment system shaped by peri-urbanization. The PERI-CENE project will provide the first ever comprehensive assessment of global peri-urbanisation, with its climate impacts, risks and vulnerabilities. For more see http://peri-cene.net
Toolkit – overview
The Synergistic Toolkit is designed for working with complex inter-connected problems. It shows how to turn a ‘Nexus’ of contradictions, into a ‘Connexus’ of opportunities. It’s a package of methods, tools, techniques, and templates.
The Toolkit helps to understand a complex present, and explore the pathways to opportunities in the future. It works with a 4 stage process – ‘Systems / scenarios / synergies / strategies’.
Resources – overview
The synergistic resources will be a structured collection of materials, on the art and science of synergistics, and the pathways ‘from smart to wise’.
This is ongoing work in progress, with mappings on each of the 40 synergistic pathways
Deeper City is about collective intelligence and the next generation operating systems, local and global. This comes in different forms. There’s a jungle type intelligence for a ‘smart’ city where the ‘winner-takes-all’. And there’s a civilizational intelligence, for a ‘wise’ city, where ‘winners-are-all’. So how to get ‘from smart to wise’? Deeper City maps out 40 pathways, ranging from cities to economies, technologies, ecologies, politics, insights and the global future. These are not ‘solutions’, more like more useful ways to ask the questions…