In this turbulent 21st century the scope of foresight has come to address existential ‘grand challenges’, such as climate change, mass extinction, digital surveillance and post-truth fragmentation. The scope of possible transformation is also moving rapidly, with new paradigms for governance, economic systems, and knowledge co-production among others.
This is an opportunity for the practice and theory of ‘looking ahead’ to move towards a next generation ‘Foresight 3.0’ – ‘from transition to transformation’. This is a foresight process based on a ‘collective anticipatory intelligence’: the mutual learning, co-innovation and co-production, between a wider stakeholder community, with deeper layers of value & meaning, and further horizons of transformation. This is a twin track agenda –
- – internally, for the ‘collective anticipatory intelligence’ within the foresight process (the ‘means’):
- – externally, for the foresight users and society around, where the ‘collective anticipatory intelligence’ is the key to the transformations ahead (‘the ends’).
Foresight 3.0 (aka ‘foresight-wise’) is at the core of the synergistic approach, with many possible ‘STEEPC’ applications –
- Social: place-making, social innovation, social economies
- Technology: smart / AI systems, circular economies;
- Environmental: climate adaptation, net-zero transitions, risk & resilience, eco-innovation ;
- Economic: collaborative / transformative business models, financial systems, economic paradigms:
- Policy: collaborative / transformative governance, road-mapping, participation, conflict resolution etc;
- Cultural: post-truth, decolonization, emancipation, spiritual development;
- Urban & territorial: city /region foresight, visioning & transformation.
Core partners: ISSEK: SAMI Consulting
Outline program for 2023 –
- Foresight 3.0 special issue – call for papers now open – with a platform including papers, perspectives, comments – and the launch event April 13th.
- Eco-wars-3.0 – next sessions March 24th & April 19th : Climate systems catastrophe & tipping points – versus – human systems catastrophe & tipping points?? We explore ways to think ahead for a viable future with all on board…
Previous sessions in the Foresight-wise series:
- Foresight 3.0 for climate change / all change: interactive workshop: July 10th 2022 at the International Society for Systems Sciences – https://www.isss.org/online-2022/. Wherever climate action changes the structures of power & ideology, we can expect power games, blame games, truth games, split incentives, or simple inertia & myopia…
- Climate-wise – New-world-disorder/ – April 8th 2022 – in a world of disruption and conflict, how to manage our common climate? can a next generation ‘Foresight 3.0’ enable the ‘collective climatic intelligence’?
- Climate-sight 3.0: how to explore a future of disruption & chaos with Foresight 3.0?: (following the COP26): Feb 4th 2022
- Strategic policy intelligence for cities & regions – how to do next generation policy & planning? practical applications in public & corporate sectors (with HSE): April 14th 2021
- Foresight from theory to practice: Training capacity building (for the HSE Masters program): April-June
- Pandemonics 3.0: tools for collective foresight intelligence, turning crisis into opportunity (hosted at ORS63), Sept 15th
- Foresight – going viral? Oct 21st2021 – taking FS3.0 upwards & outwards (hosted at the XI Conference on Foresight and STI Policy, HSE Moscow).