(UPDATING IN PROGRESS)
To make such high-minded ideas practical, doable, easy and fun, a series of playbooks have emerged. These take the basic elements of the synergistic toolkit (above) into a book of templates, examples, stories and pictures. The basic playbook (in ppt format) can be adapted to almost any issue, by selecting just the pages needed, and inserting the case study materials needed (pictures, stories, maps, links etc). This can be printed out for F2F discussion, or mounted online for virtual meetings. It can be linked with online tools such as Mural / Miro whiteboards, or Kumu for system mapping (however we often find that low-tech is more flexible).
Here is the basic Pathways playbook with case study adaptations.
- Pathways Playbook Overview, Parts 1 (general ) & 2 (project templates)
- Pathways Playbook – project templates: Part 2 as a ppt file of templates, for adaptation to any project
- Pathways Playbook – Ukraine case: demonstration of Eco-War-3.0 project in motion from
- Pathways Playbook – Ground Zone pilot: demonstration of Liveable city project in motion.
- Pathways Playbook – cities between & beyond: demonstration of Peri-cene project completed.
The Pathways Playbook is a resource for anyone facing the challenges of the 21st century – climate, technology disruption, social inequality, intolerance and extremism. Each of these and many more call for a transformation of the way we live and organize society. This calls for some kind of collective intelligence, the learning and creative potential of organizations, communities & societies.
- The first part of this Pathways Playbook is a practical guide, with examples and background.
- The second part is a set of templates, to be adapted for any project large or small.
The playbook is based on the synergistic approach for the mapping and design of collective intelligence – with 3 key dimensions:
- Wider community of interest & stakeholders
- Deeper layers of value and meaning
- Further horizons of cause-effect & transformation
Visual thinking is at the core of the synergistic approach / pathways playbook. We use cartoons to focus on ideas & experiences ‘between the words’. Then we use systems diagrams / ‘mappings’ to understand the system – where the ‘whole is greater than the parts’. Stories, media clips etc can be added wherever useful. Each of these can be done on flipcharts, online whiteboards, restaurant napkins etc (no great skill needed but creative thinking is essential)..