Centre of Excellence in Biopharmaceuticals
We accelerate the development and certainty in the production, harvest and utilisation of biopharmaceuticals.
Work with us
Biopharmaceuticals, also called biotherapeutics, present a powerful new class of medicines with the potential to diagnose, treat and cure many previously intractable human disease conditions.
Working closely with key players in the pharmaceutical industry, we are uniquely placed to bring together expertise in:
- discovery/protein expression
- bioprocessing/chemical engineering
- biopharmaceutical formulation
- delivery and toxicology
- safety assessment that mirrors the commercial pipeline
- underpinning skills in systems biology
- synthetic biology and bioinformatics.
- expertise across a range of protein and nucleic acid products
Using academic expertise from across The University of Manchester, the Centre provides a hub for interaction with industry.
Our role is to:
- offer a biopharmaceuticals knowledge centre to provide assistance for business development, research, training and skills to enhance the competitiveness of companies both in and outside of the region
- provide a network and linkage to establish and facilitate academic-industrial collaborations and partnerships to accelerate the discovery and development of new biopharmaceuticals and related processes
- enable the integration of new technologies and predictive approaches into the discovery and development pipeline (expression, pharmacokinetics, delivery, formulation and toxicology) that will stimulate more rapid, consistent and improved production of biopharmaceuticals
If you’re interested in working with us or need further information, please get in touch.
The Centre facilitates a number of funding opportunities, both from external partners and the University.
Collaborative funding opportunities
In addition to a number of events organised by the Centre each year, we participate in and promote a range of scientific conferences, seminars and workshops.
These future events will be of interest to members.
- Bioprocessing summit Europe, 19-21 March, Barcelona
- BioProNET2 Annual Scientific Meeting, 8-9 October Stevenage
If you would like to work with us or find out about opportunities in the Centre, please get in touch.
Dr Joanne Flannelly
Business Development Manager
Tel: +44 (0) 161 529 4360
How to find us
The Centre is located in the Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB), which is 16 on the campus map.