By Aled Hanson, PGCE Secondary Economics and Business Education

The PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education), like other courses such as Medicine and Nursing is a unique academic offer, as you spend more of your time on placement than you actually do on university campus. My undergraduate degree was the complete opposite, so one of the main questions I had when I arrived in Manchester was what would this be like?

The truth is, spending time on placement has been a fantastic and rewarding experience, giving me knowledge of what the world of work is going to be like, whilst still gaining tailored support from the university throughout. As part of my PGCE, I have been required to spend extended time at two placement schools within Greater Manchester. These schools are designed to be directly contrasting – therefore, I spent time at both an all-girls private school and an inner-city comprehensive. Both experiences have been extremely rewarding – with fantastic support offered throughout from both the University and my mentors at the schools.

Once on placement, you’ll very quickly get into the swing of things. But don’t worry – you don’t have to go straight into a full 20 hour teaching week. The placement is designed to increase your responsibilities incrementally, so when you first start, you’ll only be teaching for a couple of hours a week, which then increases slowly as you build your confidence. And whilst you’re on placement, the university won’t forget about you! My subject mentor will regularly check in via email, as well as organising visits to see and assess how I am getting on at the school. You also still have university days, often at least one Friday every month. These days are a real highlight – not only the opportunity to catch up with colleagues also on the course, but also, the opportunity for a good old lie in, saving me from the 7am commute!

On the subject of commuting, Greater Manchester is a great city to do a placement in, and if you don’t have a car, don’t worry. From trams to trains, buses to cycle networks, the public transport links in the city are fantastic. I get the bus into placement, and would really recommend getting yourself a free ‘Get Me There’ card. These cards which can be picked up and ‘loaded with credit’ from any Transport for Greater Manchester shop – offering students unlimited travel on all of Manchester’s Buses for just £49 a month. That’s just over £1.50 a day for unlimited travel, it’s a no brainer!

A PGCE is a great way to enter the hugely rewarding career of teaching, with tailored support and guidance throughout. It’s made me a better teacher, but also more confident, outgoing, and sure of myself. I couldn’t recommend enough. You will be inspired everyday by the amazing people who work in this sector, and once you get your first “You’re an alright teacher you are” or “I really liked that lesson” from a pupil you’ll be in it for life!