Dispensing spectacles: tips for the dispensing team
Advice for dispensing opticians, optometrists and optical assistants.
1. Give autistic patients space and time to choose spectacle frames and lenses
- Don’t constantly watch autistic patients whilst they are choosing spectacle frames unless they ask for your help.
- Reassure autistic patients that they can return on another day to have their spectacles dispensed.
2. Go through each part of the dispensing process in turn
- Don’t overwhelm autistic patients with lots of information at once.
- Conduct the dispense in a logical, step-by-step manner. Discuss:
- lens choices
- spectacle frames
- lens tints and coatings.