Meet the PhD student: Harry Chown

by | Feb 24, 2021 | Meet the team | 0 comments

Hi, I’m Harry, a first year-PhD student at the Manchester Fungal Infection Group.

I am currently working on investigating the use of genomic technologies to enhance food safety and authenticity, a project funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC).

During my four years on the project, I will be developing bioinformatic tools to identify genetic variation in food products and pathogens, causing food-related illnesses.

Additionally, I will be putting my methods into practice through the collaboration with my CASE partner, PiQ Laboratories, to develop new tests for the detection of food contaminants.

I completed my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry at the University of Exeter, before obtaining a Master’s in Bioinformatics and System Biology from the University of Manchester. During this time, I was able to complete a wide-range of projects from using machine-learning models for the prediction of HepC protease cleavage sites to metagenomics for fungal diagnosis.