COVID-related extension requests
PGRs who are unable to conclude research within the prescribed programme may apply to extend the programme. Information can be found in PGR FAQs. For those in receipt of funding, please refer to the relevant section of the page (UKRI-funded, University of Manchester (Other) funded, Externally-funded and Self-funded) to find out more about what financial support is available.
Financial support for PGRs at the University of Manchester
(Different eligibility criteria applies so please read the guidance carefully)
- For unexpected expenses related to COVID-19 (eg essential equipment, travel, hotel quarantine), please see the COVID Expense Support Fund.
- For hardship related to COVID-19, please see COVID-19 Emergency Hardship Fund for PGR. Applications are through the same process as Living Cost Support Fund, below, but there is ring-fenced funding specifically for PGRs.
- For general hardship support (COVID or otherwise), applications can be made to the Living Cost Support Fund (LCSF).
- PGRs in receipt of funding processed by the University of Manchester, should refer to Extensions due to COVID-19 Procedure for PGRs (Phase 2 UoM Processed Stipend)) (The University of Manchester)
- PGRs in receipt of UKRI funding will be contacted by the ESRC NWSSDTP and AHRC NWCDTP directly. EPSRC-funded PGRs can submit extension application by following the normal extension process. The Faculty will liaise with relevant funding managers subject to eligibility.
- Research England funding is available to self-funded PGRs and sponsored PGRs who are not in receipt of funding during programme extension only. The scheme is open to PGRs who have a programme end date of 1 April 2021 or later. PGRs should submit their application through the ‘Changes to your Programme’ process. Applications will be considered by the Faculty panel where eligible.
In order to qualify for Research England funding, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have applied for a COVID related extension with the extension effective date on or after 1 April 2021.
- Have no access to additional funding/support for living costs during the extension (evidence will be required).
- Be within your prescribed programme period – i.e. not in submission pending before 1 April 2021.
- Not have already received support from the University of Manchester’s Hardship/Living Cost Support Fund
PGRs can submit an application for extension 6 months prior to the programme end date (12 months if part-time) or 12 months prior for those whose research is dependent on a period of essential fieldwork that was postponed or interrupted due to the pandemic (including placements for the purpose of data collection). Please refer to the Extensions Procedure document for the criteria and the School PGR handbook for the application process and form.
For approved programme extensions due to COVID-19, the University will also waive any tuition fees due during the extended period.
Further information is available via the PGR FAQs