Studying Visual Anthropology at Manchester

by | Jan 12, 2022 | Arts, Languages and Cultures, Postgraduate | 0 comments

When people ask me what my degree is and I say ‘Visual Anthropology‘, I’m often met with questions and bemusement. The response is fair! The truth is, I didn’t know that the course existed until I started browsing for postgraduate options during the first Covid-19 lockdown. However, when I found that the University of Manchester offered it, I realised it was the perfect Master’s to merge both creativity and my interest in understanding human experience. Choosing to study the course at the University of Manchester means being involved in the Granada Centre of Visual Anthropology, which has a global reputation for its influential work with sensory media and ethnographic film. What was most appealing to me was the chance to study practical modules and gain the technical skills to be able to shoot and edit films. We get access to amazing professional equipment and teaching from passionate and experienced lecturers in the industry.Woman editing a video on a computer in front of a sign that says Granada Centre for Visual Anthropology

The course is small with 24 people in this year’s cohort, which means we’ve quickly gotten to know each other over a short space of time. We’re a mixed bunch, all coming from a variety of both academic and personal backgrounds. Some people studied anthropology in their undergraduate degrees while others have experience in the creative industries, working in film and photography. We’ve learned a lot from each other and are constantly coming up with ideas to express creativity and push ourselves beyond the course outline. For example, someone set up an essay writing group for extra peer support and many of us are part of a film club with other postgraduate Anthropology students.

It’s not been all smooth sailing and there have been challenges along the way. Since over half of the students on the course live abroad, they had to deal with different quarantine periods and changing Covid-19 restrictions just to arrive in Manchester. Despite the gradual arrivals, everyone has now managed to settle in and we’ve made up for lost time with frequent group events to hang out with each other outside of classes. 

Group of students out for dinner smiling at the cameraHowever, some of the best memories from the first semester have been in the editing suite which is designated specifically for MAVA students. We’ve filmed and edited three short films in pairs over the past three months which required long stints in the suite. These sessions really fostered a sense of teamwork and collaboration, as well as being a laugh when everyone got a bit stir-crazy from all the screen time!

Early in the semester we attended the MAVA showcase from the previous year and had the opportunity to see the impressive quality of what they had created for their final projects, as well as interacting with university faculty and other alumni. It was exciting to see what people can produce with the support of this course and be involved in the Granada Centre’s community. I feel I’ve already made a lot of progress since September, from not knowing how to use the equipment to recently finishing an 8-minute observational film on a local LGBTQ+ choir in Manchester. There’s no doubt that being a MAVA student feels like you’re part of something special and I can’t wait to see what next semester brings.