Barbora discusses studying MSc Human Resource Management (International Development)

by | May 4, 2022 | Postgraduate | 0 comments

Why did you choose to study this master’s course at The University of Manchester?

The University of Manchester has been an amazing place to study! I choose UoM mainly because of its amazing reputation and welcoming multicultural environment. The University of Manchester is also part of the prestigious Russell Group of universities. Manchester is a truly diverse and vibrant city that has all you need, from beautiful coffee shops to parks. 

How much time do you spend in classes and private study?

I’ve spent around 10-12 hours a week in classes and most of my time was dedicated to private study. You will be required to do a lot of reading and independent work for your modules during your master’s courses. But I liked the combination of flexibility and a relatively fixed schedule for handling assignments and work the university offered me. It really helped me to keep up to pace while still being able to manage a busy period with work and assignments.

What has been the highlight of your course so far?

I have enjoyed collaborating and networking with other students and lecturers from different parts of the world. It was such a great experience to meet people from different backgrounds and learn something new from every one of them.

What has been the most challenging part of your course so far?

Because I am working full time as a talent coordinator and studying the full-time course, I sometimes find it difficult to combine assignment deadlines, freelance work and other commitments. I always try to have a plan and prioritise tasks but sometimes you’ll be overwhelmed with all the responsibilities you have to juggle at the same time.

Have you undertaken any fieldwork as part of your course?

No, but I am working full time as a talent coordinator, and I use the knowledge and skills I have gained through the university every day at work. 

How would you describe your student experience so far?

I have been very satisfied with my time at the university, and I can’t say I dislike anything too intensely. Studying international HRM helped me to recognise that I am genuinely interested to work in a people-focused role and I had a great time getting to know my classmates.

What is the best thing about living and studying in the city of Manchester?

Manchester is such a diverse and welcoming city for everyone! First and foremost, you will get a degree from a prestigious university where you feel supported while enjoying your studies! Secondly, there are so many things you can do with your friends when it comes to shopping, nightclubs, restaurants, bars or concerts! The city is really lively and there is always something going on. The next big benefit of living in Manchester is the easy navigation and transport through the city, plus the airport is just 20 minutes by train from the city centre.

What kind of accommodation do you live in?

I live in private rented accommodation as I work mainly from home. I lived at University Accommodation before, and it was a great way to make new friends. Plus you live super close to the university so you can easily get on campus any time you want. 

Do you have any tips for future students?

Enjoy your studies and socialising with others as much as you can! It’s fun!

What are your plans for life after graduation?

I hope to apply my knowledge and skills in my job and grow further within the HR industry