Why I chose to study Law at the University of Manchester

by | Nov 3, 2022 | Criminology and Law, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Written by Greta Gibbons, a fourth-year Law with International Studies student

Hi there, my names Greta Gibbons and I’m from Belfast in Northern Ireland. I moved to Manchester to Study Law with International Studies at UoM. The main reason I came to Manchester to get my Law degree is because of the incredible study abroad options that were available to me in my third year of study. Other factors that encouraged me to come to Manchester were the quality of teaching, facilities on campus and falling in love with Manchester itself.

In your first year of the degree, you have four mandatory modules so that you can get to grips with studying the law. In second year, you have two more mandatory subjects and three optional modules. This allows you to experiment with areas of law that you are more interested in. Then in final year you can chose six modules based on your own interests, you can also choose to write a dissertation on a subject you are interested in. I think this structure helps you to build up confidence and knowledge of the law so that by third year you’re in a great position to start your final exams. My favourite module in second year was Principles of Law, Medicine and Ethics. I studied medical law on my year abroad and I’m about to start Medicine, Technology, Morals, and the law. It’s also the topic I want to write my dissertation on as I’ve enjoyed learning about it so much.

Like I mentioned before, studying abroad was one of the best opportunities to come out of university. I studied Law at the University of Warsaw for a year as part of the Erasmus+ programme. This was a fantastic opportunity to develop personal skills like confidence and independence, travel around the world, enhance my learning style and meet new people.

Following this, I have been given the role of Global Ambassador which has allowed me to represent the university at different study abroad events and help prospective students learn more about the opportunities available to study abroad. This helped me to secure a part time job within the university as a Student Ambassador.

There are so many opportunities to work and volunteer within the university, great for enhancing your personal skills and developing your CV. For example, I’ve taken part in Peer Mentoring, sharing techniques, interacting with, and motivating younger students in an educational environment. I also volunteer at the Legal Advice Centre to offer free legal help to those in need, in partnership with the Justice Hub at The University of Manchester Law School. Both are extremely rewarding opportunities to help fellow students and citizens.

There is an endless list of societies that you can join to fill up your free time and meet new people. I’m a member of the Manchester University Law Society which hold careers events and socials like the Annual Careers dinner and the Law Ball. I also joined the Law society Netball team, which is a low commitment, less competitive alternative to playing for the official University sports teams but is a great way to keep fit and have fun.

As you can tell, I highly recommend studying Law at the University of Manchester and availing of all the opportunities that are available to you in your time here. Manchester itself is a great student city and I can guarantee you’ll love being a student here. Good luck!