Kyle’s experience at the Alliance Manchester Business School

by | Dec 6, 2022 | AMBS, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hello, my name is Kyle, I am a third-year student, originally from Hertfordshire, studying BSc Business Accountancy. When I joined the University, I was in the first intake of the course, so I didn’t have much information available to me, so hopefully I can share some insight into what it’s like, for those thinking about applying.

When I moved to Manchester in September 2020, we were in and out of lockdowns, so I was stuck in halls for the majority of the first semester with my flatmates and those in my accommodation. It sounds like a nightmare scenario to some, but it was actually quite fun. Everyone was in the same boat, and I got along well with my flat. People in Manchester are very friendly, and despite the fact you couldn’t go out with societies, I found it really easy to meet people and friends. 5 of my 6 housemates I met in my first-year halls.

I knew Manchester was a friendly city before joining the University, and that was definitely a factor in applying. I love walking around the city, particularly the Arndale or the Trafford Centre. It’s also fun to go around with your mates and try new bars in the city, or in Fallowfield/Withington. There’s lots of unique places which have fun activities, one of my favourites is Brickhouse Social in the city, a great place for students, and they offer free pool tables.

I initially wanted to do a degree apprenticeship, as I thought it would be easier to advance in the working world by doing one. Then I was suggested the BSc Business Accounting course, also known as the PwC Flying Start course, which is a course that combines the University experience with the opportunity to have paid work placements in auditing. It seemed like the best of both worlds, as I would still be able to get experience in the business world, but I would also be able to enjoy most of the year at Uni and further my learning.
The course involves, in the first year, only studying at Uni, giving you the opportunity to enjoy your time and go out, so you can meet people, network, and get to know your course-mates, house-mates and like-minded individuals. In the second year you study at Uni from September to March, where you have a full Semester 1 and a shortened Semester 2. In March you receive work training for 2 weeks, followed by your placement.

My placement was in Cardiff. My course mate and I stayed down in Wales from April to the end of June (the final month of the placement in July is working from home). Our accommodation was completely paid for by PwC. We went into work 9-5 and were able to gain valuable work experience, and in particular practical audit experience, which has enhanced my studies.The bigger bonus is that not only is the accommodation completely paid for, but you’re also paid a salary for the 4 months you work. Everyone on placement is incredibly helpful and welcoming, PwC has a great work atmosphere and great career progression.
It’s definitely a fantastic course due to the fact it provides you with placements at PwC throughout second, third and fourth year. And I would definitely recommend the course to anyone thinking about accountancy, or finance/business courses in general, as you are able to achieve ICAEW exemptions to become a chartered accountant just by passing modules in the course.

For any prospective students, definitely take a look at the course and think about how fast it progresses your career, and to those successful, definitely make the most of first year and your free time by going out whenever you get the chance.

Written By Kyle Kaura