Sarina shares her advice while on Placement

by | Dec 19, 2022 | AMBS, Undergraduate | 0 comments

My name is Sarina Ramchandani and I was born and brought up in the Canary Islands, Spain. I decided to complete my further education abroad in the UK. I am studying Information Technology Management for Business (ITMB) with Industrial Experience and I am currently on my placement year. I secured a one year long job placement at Cummins Inc. as an IT Project Coordinator.

My experience moving to Manchester was full of mixed emotions. It was my first time leaving home making me really sad because I was leaving all of my family and friends behind, family and friends that I had around me since I was born. I was also nervous about starting a whole new life in a whole new country alone. The idea of having to start from scratch felt a bit frightening. However, at the same time I was very excited about making new friends and learning how to live an independent life. Additionally, moving to Manchester was a big step for me because not only was I moving from country to country, but I was also moving from living in a small island where everything is familiar and where everyone knows each other well to a big city where life is much more fast paced and busy. This change in lifestyle was completely out of my comfort zone but it is a decision I will never regret.

I specifically chose to complete my degree in the Alliance Manchester Business School because the delivery of the ITMB course offered here is supported by top companies in the IT industry including Credit Suisse, Proctor and Gamble and Bank of America. I thought that collaborating with these companies would present me with great opportunities to build my connections and expand my network. I have loved every minute of my course and I believe a degree in ITMB is the perfect fit for me because I have always been so passionate about both business and technology and this course involves a combination of these elements.

What I find most enjoyable about Manchester is the fact that the university is a city campus. Since the university buildings and faculties are spread across the main road and occupy a large area very close to the city centre it allows students to experience the best of both worlds, city life and campus life in one. Moreover, because Manchester is a very diverse city that is full of international students it is always fun making friends over here and learning about everyone’s different cultures and backgrounds.

They say that university years are the best years of your life and I can say that I truly agree with this. My advice to all incoming students is to believe in yourself in every step you take throughout your university journey. Listen to the voice in your head that says “I believe in me, I can do this.” One thing to remember is that you are not alone. There is so much to look forward to: studying a degree that you love, joining different societies and events and making strong friendships and bonds that are long lasting. University life is full of fun adventures and learning experiences that you will remember for life. I promise you will not regret it.

Written by Sarina Ramchandani