Nadia discusses studying MA Modern and Contemporary Literature

by | Jan 3, 2023 | Arts, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Written by Nadia Chau, a postgraduate Modern and Contemporary Literature student.

Time flies. Suddenly it is Christmas time and I have finished the first semester of my Master’s programme. It is time I reflect on these three months of experience.

The programme I am studying is MA Modern and Contemporary Literature. I really like this programme because I am able to choose from a variety of literature, gender/sexuality, and cultural studies-related modules. I can focus on studying what I truly am interested in, and prepare for my dissertation. As someone whose minor was in gender studies when I was doing my undergraduate studies, I naturally chose the module “Gender, Sexuality and Culture”; and as I am interested in museums and archives, I chose another module related to Victorian novels and archives. I absolutely love this freedom and flexibility when it comes to choosing modules.

And I have come to love both of the modules I took this semester. It was the first time for me to take a gender studies course conducted in the format of a seminar and not a lecture, and I like this arrangement. Basically, the class takes initiative in class – My classmates all took turns to express their views on different issues, and the learning atmosphere was really nice. As a shy person, I have been encouraged by my lecturer (who is the nicest) to speak a little more confidently; and I have learned plenty regarding how to express myself from my fellow classmates, who are all so passionate and articulate. We also got the chance to watch a contemporary performance called Split Britches: Last Gasp at Contact Theatre, sponsored by our school. It was an eye-opening experience.

And from the archive module, I have learned a lot about Victorian novels, Victorian society, the working class, archives and museums – and these were all topics I never came across a few months ago, so I have learned plenty of new things. We went on two field trips – one to The John Rylands Library; and the other to The Gissing Centre in Wakefield. On the former visit, we were given opportunities to work with different kinds of materials, and we got the chance to talk to and learn from the staff there. And on the latter visit, we visited the property which used to be novelist George Gissing’s family house, and visiting there felt like stepping into Gissing’s world. These are opportunities I never had when I was doing my undergrad studies.

For an international student first time studying abroad, these few months of study has largely broadened my horizon. I have learned just as much outside of the school setting too. Leaving home for the first time, I grow to be more independent – I become a better cook; I tried traveling alone; and I become more self-disciplined in terms of time use. Moreover, I have learned more about different cultures, and different social issues, and my worldview has grown so much. These are all things I would not have experienced if I did not choose to study here.