Why I chose to study IBFE as an International Student

by | Jan 5, 2023 | AMBS, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi there! My name is Penny and I am a second-year International Business, Finance and Economics student from Malaysia. In this short blog post, I will share my experience as an international student in Manchester, which I hope will give you some new insights.

I made the firm decision to attend one of the best business schools in the world, accredited by AMBA, AACSB and EQUIS, particularly for the interdisciplinary course that interests me; BSc IBFE. The flexible structure of the degree allows student to tailor it to their interests; with a selection of course units including accounting, business analysis, innovation, and political economy as well as language learning and work placement opportunities. Therefore an ideal choice of course if you are still discovering your particular field of interest or enjoys learning all three subjects of International Business, Finance and Economics, like myself.

Due to increased cases of COVID-19 in the UK in 2021, I only moved to Manchester in February 2022 after a semester of remote learning. I remember having mixed emotions, eager to embark on a new journey especially after taking a gap year due to the pandemic, but also constrained from missing out on freshers week in person while still stuck in Malaysia. Fortunately, the welcoming environment of the hybrid classes taught via Zoom and the intense support of the professors and tutors allowed me to form close friendships with other IBFE students in similar situations. This made settling in a new city much more comfortable. Since arriving in Manchester, I have been able to meet many new people by attending classes and tutorials on campus in which discussions are very much encouraged. Joining societies and attending social events also helped me connect with people of similar interests.

Having done little research ahead on the city itself since I was so focused on all the benefits that the Univeristy of Manchester would bring me, I am incredibly grateful to enjoy living in addition to studying here. The city centre is of close proximity to the campus, so everything is easily accessible. There are endless activities to do at convenience and availability of a variety of cuisines in case you need a taste of home. Popular with international students, Manchester’s Chinatown lies in the heart of the city and is one of the largest in the UK and in the Europe. Not to mention, it is a well-connected and international city because of its transportation links.

There are excellent career services and staff support offered to assist students that I strongly recommend making use of, apart from facilities such as the numerous and easily accessible study spaces all around the campus. Personally, I find it particularly important to establish a balanced routine; work hard, play hard. To get the most out of your studies, it’s important to stay up-to-date on your studies and do some preparation before class. At the same time, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, network and find a sense of belonging in the huge university community.