A Week in Life of a Third Year Architecture Student at the MSA

by | May 18, 2023 | Architecture, Planning and Environmental Management, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi, I’m Rana from Indonesia. I am in my third and final year of studying BA (Hons) Architecture at the Manchester School of Architecture (MSA) which is part of The University of Manchester (UoM) and Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU).

Every year, a typical week consists of 3 days of timetabled sessions (lectures and studio) and 2 self-directed study days. This may seem little, but you will find it hard to run out of things to do. With architecture and design, there is always something to improve, and your project is never really finished! Additionally, the MSA and the Manchester Student Society of Architecture (MSSA) sometimes host talks and events you can attend!

Currently, I have a 3-hour morning Technologies lecture on Monday, a 3-hour Professional Studies lecture on Wednesday, and a studio day on Thursday. My Monday lecture takes place in the University of Manchester, so I usually get food after with friends at either the Student Union or the University Place. Not only is the food delicious, but it is also affordable. The 532 Bar and Kitchen in Student Union even has a discounted offer for vegetarian options! After lunch I usually go to the library or the Manchester Technology Centre (MTC), where the architecture school is based, to work while I still have the lecture fresh in my mind.

Although Tuesdays and Fridays are self-directed study time for final-year students, you can always see some of us working in MTC. Some people prefer to work at home, but I personally feel that it is good to come in once in a while to see what and where everyone is up to.

On Wednesdays, my lectures are on Manchester Metropolitan University campus, so I tend to get lunch there. After that, I usually head to MTC to work with friends. The Advanced Digital Design (ADD) team within the school has workshops organised every Wednesday afternoon there, so I sometimes attend those.

Thursdays are studio days, which means you get individual feedback from your tutors as well as get the opportunity to exchange ideas with your peers. These discussions can be very productive, and often your project benefits from the fresh pair of eyes – you can lose perspective after staring at the same project for a while!

Despite all the university work, I still go to the gym and play badminton 3-4 times a week, work as a Student Lead for the MSA Employability team and do student ambassador work occasionally for UoM, as well as being involved in the MSSA as a Socials Director.

A week in the life of an architecture student consists of a lot of self-directed study hours and this has increased even more from first and second year. It is largely up to the individual students to manage their time effectively. With consistency, you can definitely still stay on top of your work while still having free time to hang out and stay active!

Written by Rana, current undergraduate student at The University of Manchester.