Adapting and Thriving – Learning the Art of Socializing

by | Jun 12, 2023 | Geography and Global Development, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Leaving behind a comfortable world, moving to a foreign country, and starting from scratch has been among the most extraordinary adventures I have ever embarked on. I decided to break out of my cocoon and fly; the process has moulded me into a newer and better version of myself. In the process, I have learnt many impeccable lessons and been exposed to new horizons.

I have become furnished with experiences that have made me more confident and helped me put my best self in public. Initially, it was overwhelming to interact with people older than me, having more experience and coming from different backgrounds. Certainly, it was challenging, and being social beings, we have the inert need to socialise. It was a whole hurricane of emotions and learning.

Over time, I made peace with it when I realised that amidst all this chaos, all I wanted to do was survive, be comfortable, feel safe and at ease, strive to thrive and achieve the goals I had come up with, and that’s precisely what everyone else around me was trying to do. Everyone was in the same boat, trying to settle in and feel home. When I had grasped the situation and understood what was happening around me, I set out to be what I wanted to be. In the process, one of the most important things I have learnt is social skills.

Developing Social Skills

1.    Agreeing to Disagree

Cross-cultural communication is one of the most essential social skills I have acquired as an international student. Thanks to my exposure to them, I’ve learned new languages and cultures, improving my ability to communicate with people from other cultural backgrounds. I have become more patient, sympathetic, and open-minded when speaking with others. I have also mastered the art of agreeing to disagree.

2.    Getting Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable

Adaptability is another social skill I have developed. Acclimatising to live in another country was difficult because I encountered many unfamiliar circumstances. But doing so has allowed me to improve my capacity for rapid acculturation to new situations, people, and cultural norms. I can better negotiate challenging social settings and have learned to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. I have also grown more adaptable and resilient in the face of adversity.

3.    The More, The Merrier

I have also improved my ability to collaborate and work in a team. Group assignments were part of my coursework, which helped me improve my collaboration capacity. I could contribute to the team and bring a distinct viewpoint. Additionally, I could pick up knowledge from my peers, gain a greater comprehension of various perspectives, and take the benefit of “the more, the merrier.”

4.    Getting LinkedIn

I’ve also improved my networking abilities. Developing a solid network of contacts has always been essential for career advancement. I have gained the capacity to connect with people and create professional connections by attending networking events, joining student organisations, and taking part in extracurricular activities, which has helped me improve my LinkedIn profile.

Studying at The University of Manchester has been a valuable experience helping me develop a range of social skills to upscale myself personally and professionally. I have learnt to be confident while being myself. I have realised that everyone is on a journey, so be kind, accommodating and patient. And lastly, we all might be on different paths and come from different backgrounds, but in the end, we are all humans trying to figure out lives and be happy and at peace.

Written by Anika, current MSc International Development: Public Policy and Management student at the University of Manchester