PGCE (Secondary) Placement Experience

by | Nov 23, 2023 | Education, Postgraduate, teacher training | 0 comments

This year, during my PGCE Secondary (History) program, I had the privilege of embarking on a transformative journey as a teacher at a mixed comprehensive school in Altringham. My experiences throughout this placement have been nothing short of enlightening. They have provided me with invaluable insights into the world of education, equipping me with essential skills in lesson planning, presentation, and effective communication with children. This experience has been a truly rewarding opportunity, bolstering my confidence in my chosen career path.

One of the pivotal factors in my placement experience has been the unwavering support from my mentor and the entire department. The role of a subject mentor is to oversee every aspect of your placement, particularly related to the chosen subject. In my case, my mentor meticulously reviews all the teaching resources I prepare, observes my lessons, and remains a consistent source of guidance for any challenges I encounter. Our weekly meetings have been instrumental in self-reflection, and I have always felt comfortable asking questions. Furthermore, the department’s openness has allowed me to experiment with various teaching techniques, such as debates, source work, and creative writing.

Entering the school environment as a young professional, I quickly realized the importance of professionalism. This encompassed not only my teaching practices but also how I present myself. Dressing appropriately and punctuality became key aspects of maintaining professionalism. Throughout my placement, I adhere to the school’s values and codes of conduct, demonstrating a commitment to the principles of professionalism.

The school’s climate has played a significant role in shaping my placement experience. Rooted in Christian values, my school fosters a positive atmosphere that unites students through their faith. Additionally, the school has a well-defined framework for behavioural expectations, which has proved to be an invaluable tool for managing student behaviour and supporting my teaching endeavours. Setting clear expectations at the beginning of my lessons, using the school’s specific language, has ensured consistency and helped maintain high standards of conduct.

While the PGCE course has garnered a reputation for its demanding workload, my experience during placement has eased some of these concerns. Staying organized is imperative throughout the year, and it’s crucial to remain ahead of schedule. During Placement 1 (September to December), I am responsible for delivering 8-10 hours of teaching per week, serving as a teaching assistant for 1 hour, and making room for observations. My free time was dedicated to lesson planning, updating university coursework, completing assignments, and enhancing my subject knowledge. Owning a car is a significant advantage, as it minimized travel time, but carpooling is also an option. A typical day during placement would commence at 6 am and conclude around 6 pm, resulting in long days. However, dedicating my evenings to activities I enjoy and finding moments of relaxation ensures that I remain energized for the challenges of the following day.

In sum, my placement experience has been an incredibly fulfilling journey, offering me a wealth of experience in the teaching profession and an opportunity to learn something new each day. I eagerly look forward to continuing to expand my skills and knowledge as I progress in my teaching career.

An average Monday on placement:

• 6am: wake up, get ready for the day, and have breakfast
  • 7.15: Drive to placement (it takes about 30 minutes)
  • 7.45: Prep for the day ahead – printing, final touches of PowerPoints, marking etc.
  • 8.45: Teach year 9 form class – this often includes leading a prayer and doing some sort of activity
  • 9.15: Teach personal development to year 9
  • 10.30: Teach history to year 8
  • 11.30: Free time to plan lessons, update coursework or print
  • 12.30: Teach history to year 9
  • 14.00: Teach history to year 10
  • 15.00: End of school day – spend this time in school marking, planning, updating mentor on the day
  • 16.30: Leave school and go to the gym
  • 18.00: Finally home and time to make dinner and relax!

Written by Nieve, current PGCE Secondary (History) student at The University of Manchester