Studying MSc Marketing as an international student from Indonesia

by | Dec 5, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

A visit to York

Studying abroad has been my dream since I was in Senior High School. After all of the ups and downs, the dream has turned into reality. The UK has been my top priority because of its 1-year duration on a master’s degree. Among the top leading universities in the UK, my aspiration to pursue an MSc in Marketing at The University of Manchester derives from two main reasons. Firstly, I wanted to have a deeper and more understanding about the field of Marketing, where I want to have a career in that field in the future. Secondly, the University’s comprehensive resources and curriculum, as well as the established reputation of the Business School that has been triple-accredited with its comprehensive modules and group projects, has firmly assured me of the opportunity to gain profound knowledge, both theoretical and practical. In the MSc Marketing, the projects are primarily in groups, which are also helpful in increasing my network with other friends around the world, especially by studying with real case studies in a rigorous learning environment.

Taking a Masters degree in a foreign country and having to move far away from my home, Indonesia, is not an easy thing to do. In addition to the weight of academic performance, I also have to adapt to a new way of life in a new land, slowly adjusting to the differences in how things are done compared to back at home. However, this is not difficult because the people in Manchester are very friendly; this is proof of Manchester being named one of the friendliest cities in The UK. These things make me feel like at home. Manchester is also a safe city, where you can find people walking everywhere, so you don’t need to be afraid of walking alone.

As an international student, there are many opportunities that you can do, such as doing part-time work to earn extra pocket money. In fact, the university itself provides many opportunities, from becoming a university social media content creator to becoming a school ambassador. Additionally, there are lots of international students, and the university is very diverse, so you’ll never feel left out and alone.

Elisa and her friends in Liverpool

I’m also sure you don’t want to spend your entire weekend every week just staying in your accommodation, right? Another great thing about studying in Manchester is that there are lots of beautiful places you can explore on day trips, such as going to Windermere, Liverpool, York, Leeds, and other beautiful places, without spending too long. On some weekends, when I don’t have a busy schedule or assignments, I also go to these places. It was a refreshing time for me to have a one-day vacation with my friends.

Overall, studying abroad at the University of Manchester was a life-changing experience for me, where I learned to be more independent, mature, gained a lot of insight and knowledge from expert professors, but I also had a lot of fun here by making friends with people from all around the world.

Written by Elisa, current MSc Marketing student at AMBS