Rewarding and Enriching: My first semester in Manchester

by | Dec 6, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Choosing the right university can be a daunting decision as it lays the pathway of a successful academic and professional journey. A couple of months ago, I took this life-changing decision. I packed my bags and left home to pursue my dream course at my dream university, only to find another home in Manchester.

I fell in love with the city campus the day I arrived, beckoned by the charming historic red brick buildings and lush greenery. The blend of historic architecture, modern facilities, and the lively atmosphere made me fall in love with the campus instantly.

It’s also important to mention that the first few days were a tad overwhelming considering I was on my own, in an entirely new city. I took my time to explore the university and participated in Fresher’s week events in order to get to know more people. As a student pursuing a Masters in Business Analysis and Strategic management, joining the Business School societies in my first week helped me expand my network and get to know more people. Seriously guys, the Fresher’s week is an adventure in its own so don’t miss it.

As the first semester went by, I discovered the university has a myriad of student support services available, ensuring that we have a successful academic, professional and personal journey. These support systems and my extensive programme have already empowered me with the necessary knowledge and skillset I will need to do well in my career.

Manchester United’s ground, Old Trafford

My first semester in Manchester was not just limited to the campus. The city pulsates with energy and has provided me with a canvas for unforgettable experiences. The city is filled with diverse cultures, delicious cuisines, music, vibrant nightlife and sports events. One of the many aspects that I love about Manchester is its rich cultural heritage and striking architectural landmarks like Manchester Cathedral and Manchester Town Hall. Additionally, the city has numerous museums, theatres and art galleries. As a seeker of art, the Whitworth Art Gallery has been a great source of inspiration for me. Oh, and if you are a sports enthusiast like me, you can revel in the spirit of football by attending a match at Old Trafford or the Etihad Stadium.

My time here has been truly rewarding and enriching. Manchester has left an incredible mark on my journey as a student, and I am grateful for the diverse opportunities it has offered me. I truly look forward to further exploring this dynamic and ever-evolving city and would suggest anyone who is at the crossroads of their academic journey to come to Manchester for an enriching journey filled with surprises and triumphs.

Written by Mahzaib, a current MSc Business Analysis and Strategic Management student at AMBS