From University to the Pinnacle of Operations Management: A Journey Unveiled

by | Dec 8, 2023 | Alumni/careers, AMBS | 0 comments

As I reflect on my journey from university to my current role as the General Cargo Operations Manager for the world’s top port terminal operator, it becomes evident that my academic foundation has played a pivotal role in shaping my career. Armed with a Master’s degree in Operations Project and Supply Chain Management, my professional odyssey has been a testament to the invaluable lessons and skills acquired during my university years.

University Preparation for Career Success:

The academic corridors of my university not only imparted theoretical knowledge but also equipped me with practical insights and problem-solving skills crucial for the dynamic field of operations management. The curriculum focused on intricate aspects of supply chain management, project operations, and strategic planning, laying the groundwork for a robust understanding of the complexities that lay ahead.

Case studies, collaborative projects, and real-world simulations allowed me to apply theoretical concepts to practical scenarios, bridging the gap between academia and the professional realm. The diverse faculty, with industry expertise, provided mentorship that transcended textbooks, offering a holistic view of the challenges and opportunities in the operations landscape.

Navigating the Professional Seas:

Embarking on my professional journey, I found myself in the challenging yet exhilarating role of General Cargo Operations Manager. Leading a team of over 100 individuals in one of the world’s busiest port terminals demanded a seamless blend of leadership, strategic thinking, and operational prowess — all attributes honed during my university tenure.

The depth of my academic knowledge has been a guiding light in navigating the complexities of supply chain dynamics. From optimizing cargo flows to implementing efficient project management strategies, the skill set acquired at university formed the bedrock of my operational decisions.

Moreover, the emphasis on collaboration and communication during university projects laid the groundwork for effective team management. Leading a diverse team requires more than technical know-how; it necessitates the ability to inspire, guide, and adapt — skills cultivated through group projects and interactive learning experiences.

Continuous Learning and Future Endeavours:

In the fast-paced world of operations management, learning is a perpetual journey. My commitment to continuous improvement echoes the ethos instilled during my academic pursuits. Staying abreast of industry trends, technological advancements, and global supply chain dynamics is not just a professional obligation but a personal commitment to excellence.

As I look toward the future, I am mindful of the ever-evolving nature of the operations landscape. The foundational knowledge gained at university, coupled with hands-on experiences in my current role, positions me to embrace future challenges with confidence and resilience.

In conclusion, my academic journey has been the compass guiding me through the intricate waters of operations management. The MSc in Operations Project and Supply Chain Management served as the launching pad, propelling me to the forefront of the industry. The amalgamation of academic acumen and real-world experiences has not only shaped my career but also fuelled my passion for driving operational excellence in the global port industry

Written by Cristian, an MSc Operations Project and Supply Chain Management alumnus from AMBS