Transitioning from island comfort to the city of Manchester

by | Dec 8, 2023 | AMBS, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Leaving behind life in the Canary Islands for the vibrant city of Manchester was a significant shift for me. It felt like stepping into an entirely new world, especially since I did not know a single soul in the city. Initially, Manchester seemed overwhelming. The expanse of the city and the bustling streets completely contrasted the easy going pace I was used to back home. However, what really stood out to me was the welcoming nature of the locals. Their friendliness made a world of a difference and as I spent more time exploring, the faces that were once unfamiliar to me slowly started becoming familiar day by day, making the city feel a bit more like home.

Moving abroad during the peak of COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 was also quite challenging because everything was remote, making it very hard to socialise and make friends. However, the university provided great support and helped ease this transition. They organised virtual events that allowed students to connect and interact with each other. Though it was not the same as face to face, these events provided a sense of community and a chance to form friendships with others.

As restrictions began to lift and in person interactions became a possibility, the dynamics changed. These virtual connections transformed into real relationships and suddenly, the city felt less like an unfamiliar place and more like a community I was becoming a part of.

Reflecting on this journey from an island to a city, I realise how much I have learned. I discovered that home is not just about a physical location, it is about the people you meet and the experiences you share together. As I continue to settle into Manchester, I find excitement in the opportunities this city has to offer. To me, it is a journey of adapting, learning, and creating a new sense of belonging in a place that was once completely unfamiliar. The process of navigating this shift has been about embracing change and finding comfort in the unknown, allowing me to grow in ways I had not imagined.

Written by Sarina, current BSc ITMB student at AMBS