Hello, my name is Shamima and I am a 3rd year student studying Sociology. I chose to study Sociology at University as it was a subject which I really enjoyed at college. The reason I chose to study take this course at the University of Manchester is because of the seasoned staff who deliver their modules with such passion. The dedicated Sociology department ensure that all their teaching is not only engaging but inspiring. They truly make being a student at the University of Manchester so pleasant and enjoyable.

Sociology is a discipline which involves both qualitative and quantitative research. The University of Manchester does a fantastic job of ensuring that both types of research are taught in your first and second year of study. In my first and second year of study I completed two mandatory research modules each year that spanned over both semesters. These modules allowed me to gain a more in-depth understating of various research methods used in the discipline of Sociology which will benefit me greatly as I write my dissertation this year. Also, in both my first and second year of study I was able to choose some optional modules that suited my interests. For example, in my first year of study I chose to study a module called Inequalities in Contemporary British Society which covered key sociology concepts such as cultural capital and how we can use these concepts to understand the society we live in today. The inequalities present within social institutions such as education, is a topic I have always found intriguing, and the Sociology department did an excellent job of making this topic not only interesting but digestible to all students. This is one of many reasons as to why I would highly recommend choosing to study Sociology at the University of Manchester!

Aside from the degree aspect of the university experience, there are loads of things you can do within Manchester if you’re looking to enhance your student life. The Student Union (SU) hosts tonnes of social events, activities, and societies for you to get involved in when you aren’t studying. These include playing various sports such as frisbee, the opportunity to join societies such as the Knitting and Crochet society and social events to attend such as student movie nights. I would recommend going to the Student Union building and having a look at what’s going on that week so that you can get involved and make the most of your university experience as I am. The Student Union will most definitely have something you can enjoy and provide you with the opportunity to make friends who share the same interests as you!

Overall, I would strongly recommend you apply for and if possible, attend the University of Manchester to study Sociology as you will really enjoy your time here whether you class yourself as a studious individual or not! This course widens your perspective on the ever-changing world we live in and does so in an accessible and fun way.

Written by Shamima Begum, a 3rd year Sociology student