Life as an International Student in Manchester

by | Jan 17, 2024 | Academic insight, Education, Sociology, Social Anthropology and Social Statistics | 0 comments

I started my time in Manchester in September of this year, as an American moving abroad for the first time. I’d visited just once, a couple years before, and had been set on coming to the University of Manchester ever since. I’d been nervous that it wouldn’t be everything I had been imagining, but I really had no reason to worry. I felt at home in Manchester from Day 1.

Life as a student in Manchester is fantastic: my halls in Fallowfield are great, my flatmates have been so welcoming, and the city is even more fun than I’d hoped. I’m really looking forward to getting to know all of it during my time here. Life as an international student can seem daunting, but I’ve found ways to combine the British experience I’d hoped for with some tastes of home. My flatmates introduced me to the wonders of a roast dinner, and in return, we all cooked a big Thanksgiving meal together to celebrate my favorite holiday stateside. It’s really easy to meet other international students too, there have been great social events put on to talk to other people who are in the same boat. But honestly, I haven’t felt like I’ve really needed it. I’ve been staying busy with all of the activities, courses, and societies that made me want to come all the way to Manchester in the first place.

I study Philosophy and Politics, and hearing the different perspectives of people in the UK has made my understanding of politics much deeper. I think that applies to all courses, and is one of the biggest reasons I so highly recommend going abroad for university. Expanding your horizons and learning from the experiences of others is invaluable, and my learning has already gone beyond all that I’m learning in my course. I’ve gotten involved in different societies and picked up some new hobbies and friends along the way. From surfing, to mountaineering, to philosophy, I’ve found communities of people who are accepting, passionate about what they do, and genuinely excited to learn about where you come from and share about themselves. Going abroad was a big jump for me, I don’t have friends at home who did the same thing, and I had my doubts all along the process. But being here now, I’m beyond sure it was the right choice for me. Despite the fantastic professors, modules, and classes, the new places I’ve gotten to see and experience, and all of the many opportunities around me, my favorite part of moving to Manchester has been the chance to meet new people that I never would have otherwise and expand my worldview. I couldn’t be more grateful to be in Manchester.

Written by Shepard Riley, a 1st year BASS Philosophy and Politics student