Esme’s Blog

by | Sep 29, 2021 | Uncategorised | 0 comments

We at PRIME-RU are keen to support students develop their research skills. Below you can read about Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology student, Esme, talk about her summer internship in our research unit.

“Hello, my name is Esme, and I am heading into my fourth and final year at the University of Manchester, studying Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology.”

Why did I apply to this internship?

“The summer internship at PRIME-RU presented a perfect opportunity to work within a multidisciplinary team whilst aiding in the production of relevant, interesting research, something which I have not experienced before. Furthermore, I was also eager to increase my knowledge surrounding perinatal mental health services, particularly the effectiveness and suitability of current services. I applied for this internship by completing an online application to which I was then shortlisted for an interview with several PRIME-RU members. I was overjoyed when I found out I had succeeded in obtaining the PRIME-RU internship and I was enthusiastic for it to begin.”

What did the internship involve?

“I completed many different tasks during my time at PRIME-RU including the updating of grant information, development of research infographics concerning antiseizure medication and, most importantly, contributing to stage 1 and 2 of an upcoming systematic review. The variety of tasks allowed me to experience the different components of the research process: from the initial grant application to the production of a research paper. One of my main focuses, the systematic review, involved the production of detailed tables in both Word and Excel. In order to achieve this, I learnt how to conduct initial literature searches on Google Scholar followed by the development of a detailed search strategy that can be applied to several widely used electronic databases such as Medline and PsychInfo. I can now say I am confident in my ability to choose which papers are relevant, something which I do not feel I could do well prior to this internship.”

What aspect(s) made the internship successful?

“The main component of this internship that made it so successful is the support that I received during my time at PRIME-RU. I had regular contact with my supervisors throughout each week, which presented me with the opportunity to ask for guidance, discuss areas of confusion and ask for general advice. Furthermore, I never felt that I was ‘just an intern’ at PRIME-RU because I was always treated as a valued member of the team. This was especially apparent in the PRIME-RU meetings, in which I was always allocated time to outline the work I had completed and to discuss the next steps with the other members. This internship has also allowed me to expand my understanding of the different career paths I may take in the future (definitely a perk of being in a multidisciplinary team!), whether that is a doctorate or a PhD.”

Final thoughts about the internship:

“Reflecting on my internship I can now see that I have gained so much more than originally expected: I have developed not only my skill set but have gained an immense amount of confidence, that I owe to the brilliant PRIME-RU team. I am truly grateful for all those involved in my summer internship, it has set the stone for my career path to which I aspire to complete a doctorate in clinical psychology. Finally, I have decided to continue volunteering with PRIME-RU, with plans for me to co-author the systematic review once written up for publication, which I am looking forward to.”

Are you student feeling inspired by Esme’s experience? Please get in touch (prime@gmmh.nhs.uk)  if you are interested in a placement/internship or volunteering.