Alumni Spotlight: Guo Yu – MA Translation and Interpreting Studies

by | Jul 16, 2021 | Alumni/careers, Arts, Languages and Cultures, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Guo Yu, a graduate of MA Translation and Interpreting Studies shares with us some insights into her time at Manchester and how it has helped her career. Now working in Game Localisation Management, Guo deals with all localisation-related tasks for specific projects in a global game company, including: translation, coordination with language service vendors, Language Quality Assurance (LQA), and helping with game world design. 

Why did you originally choose to study your course at Manchester?

Famous scholars, high rankings of my major and the University, as well as a good combination of theory-oriented and practice-oriented course settings.

Did you always know you wanted to do the career you’re in? Did your course or time at the University help influence this? 

Not exactly, but  I knew I’d choose my career according to my major. The courses helped me develop my professional skills, and the university atmosphere encouraged me to bravely explore the possibilities and what I’m really interested in. 

How did your course set you up for your career path? 

The theory-related courses provided me with different views on translation, translation works and translation industry, bringing me advantages in solving some problems at work. The practice-related courses I chose, such as literature translation, international organisation translation and consecutive interpreting, were a good foundation for me to be a practitioner in the localisation industry. 

What was the most surprising takeaway from your course that’s helped you in later life? 

Firstly, the professional skills that I mentioned above. Secondly, assets in terms of thinking, e.g. how to analyse one question from its nature, critical thinking, and the ability to solve a problem step by step. 

What advice would you give to a student looking to start your course and/or join the University? 

Try to find what you are interested inthen do everything with your passion. The days at Manchester will be an important support system for you to be better.