Student Spotlight: Madhura Muralidharan – MA Linguistics

by | Jul 16, 2021 | Languages and Cultures, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Madhura Muralidharan , a student of MA Linguistics shares with us some insights into her time at Manchester. 

Why did you choose to study this master’s course at The University of Manchester? 

I knew that I was interested in different aspects of language and wanted a course that built a strong foundation in linguistics. 

How much time do you spend in classes and private study? 

I spent a couple hours a day in classes, and 3-4 more hours in private study. 

What has been the highlight of your course so far? 

Getting to meet students from different backgrounds.

How would you describe your student experience so far? 

Despite being in the middle of a pandemic, I feel like I had a satisfactory student experience in Manchester. It has been a rewarding journey, albeit full of challenges. 

What is the best thing about living and studying in the city of Manchester? 

The people! I have never felt so welcome in a city before, and it is safe to say I have fallen in love with Manchester in under a year’s time. 

What kind of accommodation do you live in?  

I live in a student hall of accommodation and share a flat with 3 other students. The advantages are that you get to discover cultures you might not have known much about through your flatmates, and have a sense of “home” and “family” despite being away from home. 

Are you involved in any extracurricular activities?  

I am a student representative, and have volunteered for the Peer Buddy Scheme. I’d highly recommend getting involved in such activities because it helps build a sense of belonging, and keeps you occupied in all the right ways. 

How is your international student experience at the University of Manchester? 

As a student from India, I am happy to say I had a great international student experience. I am now friends with people from different corners or the world and was delighted to find how much we have in common! 

Do you have any tips for future students? 

I was quite anxious before getting here, never having lived in a student accommodation before. But between the support provided by the university and the bonds I built with my peers, I am happy to say that I had a very rewarding experience here. I have grown as a person and a student, I couldn’t have asked for more! 

In terms of tips for studying: Give everything a try before you set up a routine. There are so many options: forming a study group with peers, going to a different study space each day, or even just rotating between rooms and the kitchen within your flat! 

What are your plans for life after graduation?  

I am beginning an MSc in Speech and Language Therapy in London this September. I found my passion during my time in Manchester, through my friends and professors. For anyone planning on coming here, I’d highly recommend just reaching out to people and exchanging ideas – it does wonders! 

Anything to else to add?

The University of Manchester is a place where I felt respected and cared for as a student and individual. I have not only gained a degree, but also grown so much as a person in the short time I spent here!