Student Spotlight: Windja (Vinthya) Perinpanathan – MusM (Composition, Instrumental & Vocal strand)

by | Jul 16, 2021 | Arts, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Windja (Vinthya) Perinpanatha, a student of MusM Composition (Instrumental and Vocal Music) shares with us some insights into her time at Manchester. 

Why did you choose to study this master’s course at The University of Manchester?

During my undergraduate degree, I found my passion in fusing Indian and Western classical music. There are many traditional music courses and Universities that my stifle this interest as it is not an accepted and conventional compositional practice. However, my tutor at the University of Manchester encouraged me to do so and continues to inspire and support through during my Master’s.

How much time do you spend in classes and private study?

As a part-time Master’s student, I have a one-on-one supervision every fortnight. Then, depending on while module I am studying in a semester, I might have a lecture / tutorial every week too. The Master’s is very focused on independent study. I spend lots of time each week listening to music and following their scores. Pre-COVID, I would’ve also attended many concerts to see live music. It is also important to talk to fellow students about their work and research as I find this very inspiring.

Once we are given a brief for a piece to write, a lot of time is spent listening to works that related to this brief, either in instrumentation, concept or era. This really helps me to come up with my own ideas for a piece and feel inspired to compose!

What has been the highlight of your course so far?

During my first year of my Master’s course, I was given the opportunity to write a solo violin piece for the one and only Marc Danel. He is an incredible violinist and musician and the experience I had working with him was incomparable to any other.

He devoted so much time and energy to my piece throughout the entire process! His final performance and recording of it was more than I could have wished for! I was so happy with the piece and it was received very well by the public and will be getting two repeat performances already!

What has been the most challenging part of your course so far?

I have always struggled to write for the piano, and in my second semester, I was given this task! The piece was to be related to bees, which was another added difficulty. But I’d say the biggest challenge was completing this task online and without being able to workshop ideas with my pianist in person to truly understand and dissect the instrument.

What is the best thing about living and studying in the city of Manchester?

Manchester is an amazing city as a whole and has an extremely diverse and interesting music scene, which is wonderful to be a part of.

What kind of accommodation do you live in?

I currently live in a flat of three near Castlefield. I lived in the student areas for three years during my UG and fancied a change. I enjoy living in the city and being able to walk to most places within it.

Are you involved in any extracurricular activities?

I am a fitness enthusiast and love yoga and weight training. I think it helps me to switch off and blow off steam while also keeping me healthy! I would recommend doing some kind of sport / exercise, not only for its health benefits, but as a student, it is important to have a kind of stress relief.

Do you have any tips for future students?

Always ask questions! It’s important to keep a good relationship with your academic advisor, they are here to help. I’d also recommend getting involved with societies and events to stay connected and meet new friends. For any issues you might experience with Housing / Wellbeing / Academia and Finance, contact the SU. They have lots of helpful tips.

What are your plans for life after graduation?

I’m hoping to continue my studies and complete a post-doctoral research programme!

How do you feel your time at Manchester will help you in the future?

Manchester has introduced me to a huge variety of experiences and I have met some life-long friends here. The University has great things to offer and I think I have learned a lot of life skills from attending such a big and eclectic University.

Any last thoughts?

I think that the biggest part of going to University is how much you grow as a person. You become so much more mature while also studying what you love. Any negative experiences you might have are ones to learn from and seeing everything through this lens helps. University is a time to spread you wings and grow without any restrictions.