Academic Spotlight: Vincenzo Bavoso on Commercial Law

by | Jul 28, 2021 | Academic insight, Criminology and Law, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Vincenzo Bavoso is both a course director and teaches on three of the LLMs. His specialist areas are Company Law, Financial Regulation, Law and Practice of International Finance. His research interests lie at the intersection of corporate law and financial law, with his latest monograph focusing on The Law, Regulation and Policy of Debt Capital Markets.

Background

I came to the UK to pursue postgraduate education and study for an LLM. This was a career break at that time as I had been in legal practice for a number of years. I chose Manchester due to the Law School’s reputation (top five back then), and also because of the city’s many attractions. After completing the LLM, the idea of pursuing a PhD started to slowly creep into my mind… I had fallen in love with British academia.

On Manchester

The law school exuded (and I like to think it still does) intellectual vibes that it was difficult to remain indifferent to. It was an amazing learning environment, led by a number of charismatic leaders in their field: people of the calibre of Anthony Ogus, David Milman, Gerry McCormack, Emilios Avgouleas, John Birds, just to mention few names related to my area of research.

My research

I had practised law in the broad areas of private and commercial law. We were in the mid-2000 and we had just been shaken by the wave of corporate scandals in North America and then eventually in Italy too. I wanted to know more about the motives underpinning those scandals and the ensuing crisis. Eventually, that research interest proved instrumental to understanding what was about to happen inVincenzo Bavoso talking at a conference 2008. The rest, as they say, is history.

I am currently writing a monograph titled The Law, Regulation and Policy of Debt Capital Markets. My research interests sit at the intersection of corporate law and financial law (both broadly conceived). My research has been cited by the specialised press on a number of occasions and also by the EU Parliament. It has also had an impact on policy-making exercises (Foundation for European Progressive Studies; Centre for European Policy Studies; Politico).

Postgraduate teaching

I currently teach three LLM courses, two of which I also direct. I am also supervising five PhD students.