Alex discusses his career since completing his MA in Linguistics

by | Sep 6, 2021 | Alumni/careers, Languages and Cultures, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Alex now works as an Insight and Innovation Executive, which entails using linguistic and psychological data to understand audience behaviour and motivations in a digital and societal setting.

Why did you originally choose to study your course at Manchester?

“I wanted to pursue further education in linguistics and gain more comprehensive and technical skills.”

Did you always know you wanted to do the career you’re in?

“I did not know but I knew I wanted to do something in which I would be analysing either human behaviour or language. Being at Manchester allowed me to talk to a wide range of professionals and engage in more tailored course units, which taught me about the additional professional opportunities which might be available to me.”

How did your course set you up for your career path?

“On my course, I gained an in-depth understanding of language from a theoretical, societal, and technical point of view. I was able to learn about scientific experimentation, statistical analysis, qualitative and quantitative methods, and even computer programming on the course. All of these methods and experiences helped show my employer that I could provide valuable qualitative insights, whilst also engaging in more technical quantitative, data-driven approaches.

What was the most surprising takeaway from your course that’s helped you in later life?

“The most surprising thing was probably that even though some of the particular modules or methods therein may be niche, everything has value and works to build your resume as a professional.”

What advice would you give to a student looking to start your course and/or join the University?

“Say yes to things and ask for help. There is so much on offer already but what I found most useful is that you can, in some cases, get tailored modules based on your interests. I was learning to code before starting the programme, but I wanted a more formal education so I asked Dr Nini if I could do an individual module (directed reading) with him about computational linguistics. He said yes and I learnt so much about coding. People are always there to offer help and advice but you need to ask for it.