Ruiqi discusses what she enjoys most about Manchester

by | Nov 9, 2021 | Uncategorised, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Kevin Lynch once argued in The Image of City that “For any given city, a corresponding set of mental images exist in the minds of the people who experience that city”. I have to admit it, for me, I didn’t have a good image about Manchester at first. However, the more I explore, the more I love this city.

Whitworth Art GalleryWhitworth Art Gallery

Apart from exhibiting over 60,000 internationally important artworks and holding plenty of interesting events, what really appeals to me is staying here, you could temporarily get rid of all the stresses and gain a peace of mind. As it is located near Whitworth Park, just imagine how relaxed you are while listening to the sound of rain beating upon every leaf or watching people lying on the ground covered with a blanket of colourful leaves as children running around in the sun.

Open: Wednesday to Sunday, 10am-5pm

Milk & Honey Café

Milk & Honey Café provide a warm and inviting environment with coffee, food and its lovely interior decoration. It is perfect for studying or meeting up with friends. Moreover, they will hold diverse activities like yoga or some charity events. It is mainly run by volunteers, and I am lucky enough to be one of them. If you are interested in volunteering in your spare time, please feel free to contact us.

Open: Monday to Friday, 9am to 3:30pm

Northern Quarter

Northern Quarter is definitely my favourite place to come at weekend. I enjoy wandering around the streets, brick walls and shop shutters which are decorated with a variety of colourful and controversial artwork.

Blue Rinse

Blue Rinse is one of the vintage shops in Northern Quarter which I will visit every time. It has a large amount of clothes, shoes and other accessories and refresh them in every season. For upcoming winter, Blue Rinse already released winter outfits from blazers and jackets to various waistcoats. I am sure you will find something you like.

Open: Monday to Saturday, 9am to 6pm (Sunday, 11am to 5pm)

Vinyl Exchange

If you’re into music, whatever genre, Vinyl Exchange is the place to head. Located in the heart of the Northern Quarter, this iconic institution displays an eclectic range of records from both local and internationally famed artists.

Open: Monday to Saturday, 10am to 6pm (Sunday, 12am to 5pm)

Lazy Sundae

The best Milk Tea in Manchester! If you come, I highly recommend Thai Milk tea ice cream float. The fragrance distributed by Thai tea perfectly matches the sweetness of honey bubble and Thai Milk Tea flavour ice cream floating on the top. This shop is also pet welcomed thereby if you are lucky, an adorable puppy may sit next to you.

Open: Wednesday to Saturday, 12am to 10pm (Sunday, 12am to 9pm)