Connie talks about her time as a Liberal Arts student

by | Dec 7, 2021 | Religions, Theology and Liberal Arts, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi, my name is Connie! I’m 19 years old and currently studying in my first year of the Liberal Arts programme at The University of Manchester. I couldn’t be happier with my decision to study this subject, and my first semester at Manchester has been everything I had hoped for. 

My interests lie primarily in history, though I often thought that doing a degree purely focused on the single discipline could become taxing. I’d heard about Liberal Arts from a friend studying at another university, and it seemed to encompass all of my interests. Upon visiting some open days at other universities, I decided Manchester was the perfect fit. I love the flexibility that the degree offers, and the option to partake in the Flexible Honours scheme where I could choose a minor to go alongside my degree in Liberal Arts was very inviting. For me, Ancient History was appealing as a minor, and I have found studying archaic Greek history alongside the core units in my first semester particularly fulfilling. Though I have only made a dent in my time here, I have found that the teaching is brilliant, and the general pastoral care and career guidance that comes with studying at Manchester is second to none. I’ll also note how glad I am to have chosen to study somewhere which is so animated in terms of student life, and joining societies which are not limited to my academic interests has introduced me to some incredible people. The city itself is alive with culture, diversity and creativity, and an atmosphere which is infamously student friendly means you are bound to find your people and purpose.

As expected, the transition from secondary school to university was daunting. However, since becoming a part of the student body at Manchester, I can safely say I feel a part of something great and meaningful.

I have found that the Liberal Arts programme is not only preparing me to make a living, but also to make a life. The self-expression, critical thinking, empathy and creativity that the subject encourages motivates me to think for myself, as my intellectual and conceptual capacity is increasing. I can’t wait to see where the next three years will take me, and I urge you to consider Manchester as your home for your university days.