My Life as a Global Development Student

by | Jan 10, 2022 | Architecture, Planning and Environmental Management, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Hello I am Nadia, an MSc Global Development student and I am going to tell you my experience as a student here! A typical week for me includes: lectures and going exploring. 

The lecturers here are structured very well and there are different ways that it has been convened to me and my peers. Majority of my lectures are in-person and I have my lectures all over the campus (don’t worry about walking, there is a free bus that takes students across the campus and walking isn’t that bad at most it would be a 5-7 minute walk). I also have dual learning lecturers which means that one of the module components is online. The one I had online lectures, the lecture was pre-recorded and I had to watch it at my own time and we were encouraged to bring our questions about anything to our in-person tutorial. But there are modules that are completely online due to covid reasons. An amazing solution that students have done is to come together in a lecture hall and discuss the topics in person while the course convenor runs the seminar remotely. 

My favourite places to study is the main library that is open from 8am to 2am, this is an open access library so anyone who is a student at University of Manchester can study there. There are plenty of study spaces and also a cafe that makes an excellent cappuccino (that I am addicted to). It is also a place to pick up a free lateral flow kit (stay safe). If I want a more quiet study area I go to Oddfellow Hall, a study space that is dedicated to masters students. It has been recently refurbished with new rooms and cafeteria. 

I joined the master’s program because I did not know what I wanted to do career wise and I thought an extra year specialising in a field would help my ideas for a future career. I do recommend people to talk to their Lecturers about what they have done in the past, they have many interesting stories that are quite inspiring. Also, the Career Services here are helpful in setting people on the right paths. They take a mentoring approach where they won’t tell you the answer you want but guide you to find your own answer. They also have many tools and tricks up their sleeves to guide students on a career path that is hopefully fulfilling and fun.

If you do not like exams, this course is perfect. There is one mandatory exam that all the pathways have to do. This is to ensure that the essay assessment grades match with your exam grades to make sure that no one cheated in their essay assessment. 

Green hills surrounded by blue skyOne of the best things about the University is that it is close to the Peak District and Lake District. The Peak District is a bus ride away and the Lake District is a train ride away. Some of the hikes are quite challenging but the views are rewarding. Perfect for a relaxing getaway from the busy city life of Manchester.

Exhibition of Van Gogh paintings

In the city itself, there is plenty to do from fairs the city council sets up, food, shopping, game rooms the possibilities are endless.