My Experience as a Geographical Information Science Student

by | Jan 10, 2022 | Geography and Global Development, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Hi everyone! My name is Ostap. I am pursuing MSc in Geographical Information Science, and I would like to talk about life at the University of Manchester (UoM).

In short, being a student at the UoM is incredible. The campus is in the southern part of the city of Manchester, which means that you can Ostap next to his bikeexperience all that this city has to offer. I personally do not live on the campus, but I cycle to the University very often. I would typically come to the campus five days a week to study or hang out with friends. I really like that the campus is integrated with the city, but at the same time, you can clearly feel that you are in a student environment. I would also recommend cycling as, in my opinion, it is the best way to commute around Manchester. There is one popular bike repair shop called ‘Hillcourt Street Cycles’, so if you have any issues with your bike, you can always easily fix it on the campus. There are also bike racks everywhere.

My classes are usually in ‘Humanities Building’ and ‘Manchester Engineering Campus’. The last one is a building, and I think it is the most modern, comfortable, and attractive structure on the campus. It looks like a Batman building to me. You can easily study there before/after your classes as tables and sockets are everywhere. It is also the only building I know with free water, which is convenient. Another great spot to study is ‘Alan Gilbert Learning Commons’. 

Male students smiling at the camera

It is located in the very heart of the campus, and it is open 24/7. I do spend a lot of time there. If you are a Geography student, you will also have access to the learning commons at the ‘Author Lewis Building’; I usually study there with my classmates before the important deadlines because it offers a quiet and comfortable study environment.

There is free internet all across the campus, and if you have any issues with connection or with your personal device, you can always go to Student Services at ‘Kilburn Building’, and they will sort it.

Manchester is a great place for vegetarians. The ‘University Place’ offers cuisine from nine different countries, and if that’s not enough, every Tuesday there is a ‘food market’ on Bridgeford St. in the centre of the campus. In addition, there are numerous bars and restaurants around the campus. My favourites are ‘Sandbar’, ‘Thirsty Scholar’ and ‘Yes’. The Students’ Union building also offers food, and there are microwaves, so you can warm up your own food if you wish.

What I absolutely love about the UoM is its societies. I am a hiking club member, which organises 1-day hikes around the city every weekend. I also tried debating, rock climbing, mountain cycling, and even the Quidditch. But there are more than 100 different societies you can join, which you can do on the Students’ Union website.

When it comes to studies, I am very happy with our Lecturers. They are great specialists and very interesting people. During your studies, you will also have an adviser, and there is a team of people who help with job opportunities. You can either communicate with them through emails or you can meet them in person.  

Overall I really enjoy my time at UoM, and I am excited to welcome more students to our campus this year!