My Favourite Parts of being a Real Estate Asset Management Student

by | Jan 10, 2022 | Architecture, Planning and Environmental Management, Postgraduate | 0 comments

It initially starts with me waking up two hours before a scheduled morning lecture. Within those two hours, I have sufficient time to cook and prepare my breakfast. I like to have a balanced breakfast because I stay at university for over 5 hours, and I don’t like to waste money on meals unless I am severely peckish. I catch the bus to ensure I have at least 10-15 minutes before the official start to socialise and meet up with my peers

After it hits 5 or 6’ o clock I head home for dinner and meet with my flatmates for our typical bonding time at the pub for a few drinks over a game, a walk to the town centre, or sometimes a night out. As the months go by, spontaneity is what keeps you from getting into those boring routines.

The seminars conducted are one of the best parts, here you can brainstorm your ideas and discuss over the situation given by the professors with your peers.

Professional Placements:

You will have the opportunity to choose a placement course as one of the optional courses, which means you can find a short placement during the semester to help you learn more about real estate apart from what’s in textbooks

Fieldtrips:

I think one of the most interesting experiences as a Real Estate Asset Management student is the fieldtrips. Apart from enjoying travelling to other places, you will also gain valuable knowledge and a better understanding from teachers’ introductions during the walking trips. We have visited some places in Manchester or near Manchester so far, however, I have heard that there is a chance to travel abroad in the next semester as a fieldtrip! Moreover, in addition to the fieldtrips from the University, as a Real Estate student, to have a sensitive observation towards every street, place and building you passed by is also important

Career Service:

Grab every event or challenge concerning real estate if you are interested. This will provide you precious experience and even boost your CV. I have attended few seminars on related to resume building and jobs searching. Moreover, students in the University of Manchester will get support from the Careers Service during the course tenure and for up to 2 years after you graduate. There are also lots of updates regarding the companies offering jobs or internships, so you don’t need to keep a tap of it. Even if you miss a career session, you can always find a recording of it in a career login page.

Extra-Curricular activities:

Sometimes attending extracurricular events can release our stress from lectures and assignments and meet new friends. For me, I have also joined in some University societies and volunteering in my spare time. As for societies I took part in the International society, and the Hindu Society will always hold some wonderful activities for us and for the part-time job, I became the student ambassador of SEED Department, through which I do work related to college and get paid for that.

Life at University is what you choose to make of it, you can use the free time you have to balance it with hobbies you enjoy. If you have a few hours gap between lectures or seminars, then visit the Uni facilities on campus to use their computers or study space. If you are hungry go home and cook to save money or take advantage of the meal deals that are around.

There are lots of opportunities waiting for you in Manchester, take advantage of it and don’t take any pressure & have fun!