What is like to study MA Sociology at Manchester?

by | Jan 11, 2022 | Postgraduate, Sociology, Social Anthropology and Social Statistics | 0 comments

I have to say that it is a worthwhile chance to study Sociology at the University of Manchester. When I was an undergraduate student, I majored in Public Management, and the specialized courses included a range of social science subjects. It is precisely because I took these courses that I have a strong interest in sociology and want to study it in depth. Therefore, considering my background, my interests and future development, I determined to apply for the Master’s program of Sociology at the University of Manchester without hesitation.

I made the decision because the University of Manchester is a prestigious university in the field of Sociology. Learning sociology does not involve daily experiments like other scientific subjects, but rather comprises of all the many exciting theories in the field. In fact, the courses provided by the programme give me the most valuable help and enable me to understand the law and process of social development. For example, the course ‘Urban Sociology’ has presented how city evolution and social development progress affect each other and offered a particular perspective into urban society. Although doing sociology can be challenging since some theories are not always clear like those in the course ‘Social Theory and Cultural Identity’, the professor is always enthusiastic to answer students’ questions and encourage them to solve problems using social theories. In that case, I am better to understand these problematic paradigms.

Lecture hall

Research Design Lecture

In addition, the University of Manchester provides us with a range of learning resources, including physical and online resources. On the one hand, we are required to look through many readings before each lecture. The school has subscribed to a great deal of journals of sociology. Therefore, I can freely use the library to both borrow and download any relevant articles as I like. It has been really convenient during the ongoing pandemic, and it has definitely helped me learn more even when I am outside the classroom. On the other hand, there is a specific course called ‘Sociology Study Skills Support’ planned in our curriculum outline, which has been a guideline that has provided helpful advice for studying social studies. It is very suitable for those new to studying sociology, so we do not have to worry about not having experiences in the area. Each of us is also assigned an academic advisor, which allows us to gain more professional advice from professors on our studies. This feedback can assist us in finishing assignments. Actually, I struggled a bit at the beginning of the programme because I had not focused on sociological studies before. Still, I grew to enjoy the course with these resources and the help of the professors.

In sum, since I started studying Sociology at the University, I have accumulated more useful social theories and gained a lot of academic help and support. At the same time, I have acquired the skills and methods of learning while moving from the difficult to the easy. All this has provided me with a solid foundation for my future development. I would really recommend studying Sociology at the University of Manchester to anyone!