I joined the University of Manchester in September 2021 and have had the opportunity to visit several places in Manchester. The following are best five places I have visited so far. 

Old Trafford

Being a Manchester United fan since I was a teenager is the reason as to why Old Trafford, the theatre of dreams is one my favourite places in Manchester. I had an opportunity to attend the Manchester United Vs Arsenal match in early December 2021 at Old Trafford, the atmosphere was vibrant and memorable. Scenic moments when Ronaldo, one the world’s best player scored two goals which sealed a Manchester United 3 – 2 win against Arsenal. Watching how the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) operates in real time during footballMan standing in front of a Manchester United sign matches was a priceless experience. Below is my selfie with Manchester United players when they were celebrating Ronaldo’s goal and the other one outside the stadium under the lights. Man smiling at camera in front of football pitch and Manchester United football playersOn the match day the stadium was full of 70k+ spectators which made my experience much more fun and I have since then wished to visit Old Trafford again. Apart from match days one can choose to do a stadium and museum tour which gives an opportunity to learn about Manchester United’s history and culture.

Snow on The University of Manchester campus

The University of Manchester has a very beautiful campus which is even more attractive during the snow. One of my favourite places on the campus is the Alan Gilbert Learning commons as it has modern learning facilities and comfortable study areas, café and relaxing areas. The Alan Gilbert library has vending machines with different refreshments to accompany you while studying for longer hours, the library has also special meeting rooms where group studies / discussions can be done. 

Piccadilly Gardens

Piccadilly gardens has nice restaurants where you can find several foods including Mexican, African, Italian and Portugal cuisines. There is also a park to sit and relax with family and friends beside the musical entertainments on the streets of Manchester. Piccadilly Gardens had a very impressive decors during the Christmas season and it’s a place I always visit whenever I am at the city centre, it’s easy to walk to Market Street, which had beautiful Christmas markets during the holiday season.

Manchester Arndale

This is the largest shopping mall in Manchester city centre, it has a lot of shops and if you are interested with designer clothes you will be spoiled for choice here. I like video games and PlayStation, and I found a shop called CeX at Manchester Arndale which is an entertainment exchange where you can sell and buy used video games accessories at a fair price. I got my Ps4 controllers here and they are really nice to use, I would recommend this shop for every gaming lover in Manchester.

Revolution at Deansgate  

Manchester’s night life is astonishing, especially when you visit a vibrant place like Revolution. I enjoyed listening to music and catching up with friends at this place. Deansgate is near the city centre hence it is easily accessible from the University of Manchester and its vicinity.