My experience studying the new MSc Green Infrastructure

by | Mar 11, 2022 | Geography and Global Development, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Hannah, a part-time student of our new MSc in Green Infrastructure, shares with us why she chose to study the course, what her highlights have been so far and how she’s balancing her studies and part-time work.

On choosing to study MSc Green Infrastructure

I had a break of nearly five years during between undergraduate and postgraduate study which I spent time volunteering overseas, completing a conservation traineeship with the Wildlife Trusts and then got job as a Landscape Planner at an Environmental Consultancy.

I became interested in green infrastructure since my undergrad degree and it is something I have become more involved in in my current job. I was really keen to further my understanding of this, particularly in relation to monitoring and delivery.Building surrounded by trees in park

I really liked the course on offer and the focus on Green Infrastructure – with a mix of Geography and Planning modules on offer. A similar course was not really available at other universities.

On balancing my course and part-time work

I am studying the course part time, which has been challenging at times but all the staff I have had have been accommodating off this when arranging tutorials or getting to office hours.

On my highlights so far

It has been great to meet like-minded people on the course and I have enjoyed being back in an educational environment. I particularly enjoyed doing a spatial ecology module, which involved learning to code using R which was a skill that was completely new to me.

The city is a really lively place and it is great studying here! I really like that the university buildings are all together on a campus, but that it is within easy reach of the town centre.

On my plans for after graduation

My experience at the university has given me a lot more confidence, particularly in communicating with others. This has helped me in my current job and I am now much more pro-active.Student and lecturer having a conversation in office surrounding

I have really enjoyed going back to studying and it has made me consider further postgraduate study which is not something I previously thought I would be interested in.

On my advice for future students

In order to get the most out of the experience, it has been really useful to get to know people on my course so we can learn from each other and everyone’s different experiences.