My first term as a Linguistics MA student

by | Jan 3, 2023 | Languages and Cultures, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Written by Beth Resendez, an MA Linguistics student.

Beginning a master’s degree is an undoubtedly daunting experience. Despite my four years as an undergraduate, moving to a new city and beginning a course more intense in its course content and expectations was a big step, and a hugely nerve-wracking one. My time during my bachelor’s degree allowed me to develop my passion for Linguistics, and so I had no qualms about my wish to pursue an education and career within this field, but I was aware that a master’s degree would require a huge commitment and an ability to manage a greater workload, and I found myself at that first day of lectures feeling more nervous than I had anticipated.

As a part time student, this first semester has only contained two modules: Research Methods and Phonetics & Phonology. Both of these modules were compulsory, an aspect I was concerned by initially, and contained much introductory content. I had been worried that with these two factors my passion for the subject and interest in completing the large work expectations would be weaned. I was grateful to find that this was not the case. Research methods has allowed me to delve into reacquainting myself with the requirements of writing a dissertation by presenting others research findings and the possible paths I could take. Phonetics and Phonology, while not the aspect of Linguistics I typically choose to research myself, allowed me to gain a greater understanding for the topic and the intricates of that area of study. Often what makes a course worthwhile is the lecturers that lead it. Despite my own presuppositions about the subject area, the lecturers were clearly passionate about it, and I found myself wanting to replicate this. Ultimately, I learnt a great deal, about the intricates of phonology, and as well about my own ability to adapt and most importantly, stay calm.

The subject matter has been far more in depth and the amount of information within the course far more intense that what I had experienced in my undergrad. This has been an adjustment I have had to quickly come to terms with and adapt my learning pattern to. This has been somewhat challenging; having to relearn how best to take notes and prepare for essays and group projects in a different manner than how I had previously done so for the past four years has been a learning curve. Where previously lectures had been an introduction to a new topic and explained fully, much of this semester’s lectures have had a requirement to pre-prepare and also conduct some post-research and have had an assumption of pre-understanding to certain topics. It was easy to find myself feeling rather overwhelmed at times due to this expectation. The greatest things I’ve learnt throughout this semester have largely been about myself. How I deal with pressure, how I respond to certain learning methods, how much I value the friends I surround myself with. Yes, the workload is intense and anxiety-inducing at times. But, with the help and guidance of the people on this course; who are, of course, feeling the exact same way, I have been able to remain level-headed and take each day as it comes.