University Accommodation as a Postgraduate Student

by | Jan 4, 2023 | Postgraduate | 0 comments

Written by Jahnavi Zharotia, an MSc Financial Economics student. 

Moving to the beautiful city of Manchester to pursue my Post Graduate degree was one of the best decisions I made. As an international student, moving to a new country was a new challenge that this year presented me with. Moving to a new city comes with a new sense of independence and excitement, but not without its own stress. After receiving an offer letter from the university, my first challenge was finding a comfortable place to live.

While researching about accommodation options, I personally felt that university accommodation provided the best guarantee about finding a safe and reliable guarantee of accommodation. It was useful to thoroughly go over all types of available university accommodations before making my top 5 choices. The University portal made it extremely accessible and easy to apply for, and receive allotted accommodation. The halls have offered a comfortable and safe environment that quickly transform into your home away from home.

Moving in to the student halls was hassle free and easy. The halls are in the form of flats, where there is a common living area and kitchen, with personal rooms for every student. The rooms are furnished with a comfortable bed, a wardrobe, a personal study table and reliable heating to keep you warm during the coldest of days. As a Post Graduate student, I often find myself in the need for a change in space while studying. The university halls provide study spaces and common areas that are perfect for studying alone or even with your friends and peers. Along with this, there are plenty of amenities such as gaming rooms, social spaces to host events, a laundry room and a gym for all your fitness needs.

As a student living in university accommodation, I find that it is one of the best places to meet like-minded individuals. All my flatmates are pursuing their Post Graduate degrees, and come from many different cultures. I have had the opportunity to learn to cook a different cuisine, meet people from various countries and create new bonds. University halls also host mixers that allow you to meet new people outside your own flat, and build your network.

University accommodation also provides every flat with a ResLife advisor, who is a helpful person of contact in case of any issues within your accommodation. These advisors conduct a regular check in and are easy to get in touch with as well. The university as well, is quick with addressing any concerns with respect to any issues with your hall. Overall, university accommodation provides a hassle free, warm and cosy space to call home during your time here.