Embracing Diversity: Kareemah’s Journey as an International Student in a PGCE Program

by | Apr 29, 2024 | Education, Postgraduate, teacher training | 0 comments

As the world becomes increasingly interconnected, education stands as a beacon of cultural exchange and understanding. In the realm of teaching, international students bring a unique perspective that enriches the classroom experience for both educators and learners alike. Today, I want to share my inspiring journey, navigating the challenges and embracing the opportunities of pursuing a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

I’m Kareemah, a Nigerian international student with a passion for education and a desire to make a difference in the lives of students. For me, the PGCE program is not just about obtaining a qualification but also about showcasing a different world to students, leveraging my international uniqueness to foster cross-cultural appreciation and understanding.

One of the most exciting aspects of my PGCE journey is the opportunity to immerse myself in different school systems. Stepping into various educational settings, from urban to rural, I gain invaluable insights into diverse teaching methodologies, administrative structures, and student demographics. Each school offers a new perspective, broadening my understanding of the complexities and nuances of education.

However, navigating cultural differences can sometimes pose challenges. As a Nigerian student, I bring my own cultural background and experiences into the classroom, which may differ from those of my students and colleagues. Yet, I approach these differences with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Rather than viewing cultural disparities as obstacles, I see them as opportunities for mutual learning and growth.

Despite my initial concerns about cultural differences, I find that they have rarely been a significant hindrance. Instead, I discover that diversity enriches the learning environment, fostering creativity, critical thinking, and empathy among students. By embracing my Nigerian heritage and sharing it with my students, I create a classroom atmosphere that celebrates cultural diversity and promotes inclusivity.

One of my occasional worries revolves around the job hunt as an international student. Securing employment in a foreign country can be daunting, especially in the competitive field of education. However, I find solace in the unwavering support provided by the university team. From resume reviews to job applications and interview preparation, I receive invaluable guidance every step of the way. This support not only boosts my confidence but also reinforces my belief in my ability to succeed in my chosen career path.

Indeed, my journey as an international student in a PGCE program is a testament to the transformative power of education. Through my dedication, resilience, and cultural competence, I exemplify the values of global citizenship and lifelong learning. As I prepare to embark on my teaching career, I carry with me the invaluable lessons learned from my PGCE experience – lessons of empathy, adaptability, and the profound impact of education on society.

In conclusion, my story serves as an inspiration to aspiring educators worldwide. By embracing diversity, overcoming challenges, and seizing opportunities, I exemplify the transformative potential of education to bridge cultural divides and foster a more inclusive and equitable world. As I embark on my teaching journey, I carry with me the belief that education knows no boundaries – it is a universal language that has the power to unite us all.

So, here’s to me, Kareemah, and the countless other international students who dare to dream, strive for excellence, and make a difference in the lives of others through the noble profession of teaching. Our contributions to education are invaluable, and our impact is immeasurable. Keep shining bright, for the future of education is in our capable hands.

Written by Kareemah, current PGCE Secondary student at The University of Manchester