Why dual-mode learning increases inclusivity and equity in Education

by | Apr 30, 2024 | Education, Postgraduate, Sustainability | 0 comments

Hello – I am Allison – a distance learning student currently studying for a postgraduate degree in Education for a Sustainable Environment at the University of Manchester.

I am a teacher, a mother and mature student and have become increasingly aware of the global challenges that face our generations in terms of future preservation of a good life on earth. I feel a responsibility towards the stewardship of our planet and am invested in becoming part of this educational journey which encompasses educating for sustainability learning at the University of Manchester.

A quality education has been identified by world leaders as underpinning all of the Sustainable Development Goals emphasising that educating for sustainability has to be transformative. We have to think differently if we are to provide an education that aligns with a precarious future. There must also be equity of access if we are sincere in our aspirations for sustainability.

I feel that the dual mode approach to learning is innovative, inclusive and embraces diversity both locally and globally. It breaks down traditional barriers to access. It also offers a lifelong learning solution to would-be students who have other responsibilities to balance alongside further education. Despite living in a different part of the country, this creative use of technology enables me to learn from shared perspectives in live, collaborative and participatory exchanges to gain a richer insight into the application of research within the real world.

By avoiding relocation and travel, I feel that I am reducing greenhouse gas emissions and therefore distance learning offers an authentic sustainable alternative to progressing academically. Beyond the valuable course content and sustainable credentials, I was drawn to the dual mode option as it offers access to a greater diversity of prospective students, regardless of age, gender, distance, disability, professional and personal responsibilities. This enriches the breadth of learning across the globe.

As well as sustainability, equity and diversity, this facility also offers flexibility. I am free to study recorded lectures and seminars at times that best suit my other commitments and yet still develop a live learning relationship with peers. I therefore feel valued as a contributor and connected to a vibrant knowledge community where ideas can be freely exchanged in spite of distance.

I hope that dual-mode, remote learning, as a vital medium of inclusivity and equity in education continues to grow – particularly as it aligns authentically with the sustainability aspirations of the University of Manchester. I am grateful that this online facility is allowing me to advance both as learner and practitioner by removing conventional barriers to academia. Enabling all voices is vital for 21st century learning – why not use technology to share knowledge? This course does that.

Written by Allison, Current MA Education for a Sustainable Environment student