My Experience on the IME course

by | Mar 9, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

My Experience on the Innovation Management Entrepreneurship course: Sharing My Top Favourite Things (so far).

Manya at graduation!

Manya at graduation!

After completing my undergraduate degree in Artificial Intelligence at the University of Manchester, the first big decision I made was to return to the university for yet another degree. Of course, there were a lot of what’s and why’s, as I wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted to study next. But in my head, it was another year at a university and a city I loved and another year of finding myself. Looking back, I couldn’t have made a better decision for myself, and I am here to share 5 (of 50) things I LOVE about studying MSc Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship (IME) at the University of Manchester.

1. A close-bonded international community 👪

The IME course is one of the most diverse courses on campus. There are 78 international students in a class of 80 students. So that’s about 97.5% of international students on the course. We like to think of ourselves as one big family, and our diverse perspectives inspire creative solutions in class discussions, increased global awareness and new food to try every lunch.

2. Entrepreneurship spirit 🚀

I initially joined the course to understand how to manage the process of innovation in large organisations. But I found myself in an environment where people are always ideating. The creative ideas, coupled with diverse specialisations and a shared passion for making a difference, are very powerful. The entrepreneurship spirit in the course is inspiring, and I am constantly meeting people I would want to do at least one startup with. Additionally, various modules, support from the Masood Entrepreneurship Centre, and funding competitions can help bring your startup ideas to life.

3. Tea’s and T’s ☕

If you are new to British culture, you will quickly become addicted to their teas. But another T that my courses introduced is the idea of T-shaped individuals. A T-shaped individual has a wide variety of complementary skills and knowledge as well as a depth of expertise in a specific discipline. The lectures in the IME course introduce you to a broad range of concepts and ideas, from entrepreneurship, technology, and policy to innovation within large organisations. And the assignments give you the creative freedom to explore one of the many ideas in greater detail, helping you develop into a well-rounded individual.

4. Opportunities for personal development ✨

Over the semester, I began applying the idea of a T-shaped skill set to my personal development. I learned how to manage my time effectively, travelled to cities across the UK, and became an active member of many societies, from Yoga, Karate, and Salsa to Vegan Society. I even initiated a book club with my friends. The best part is that 4 years later, I’m still discovering new adventures and dining spots in Manchester. There is never a dull moment! (Sneak peek: indoor skiing is next on my wishlist).

5. Back to the beginning 🔁

Stepping into my first karate class, I had no idea what to expect. However, what I saw left a profound impression on me. I found it strange that my karate coach (sensei) had a white belt instead of a black one. Turns out, the years of practice had led his black belt to discolour and fray over time. It was like going back to where he first began. (Casually adding in the philosophy of life right here. My friends from the book club would be so proud – insert confetti emoji here).

This perfectly describes my round-trip journey at the University of Manchester. Moving to a new country, on a new degree, and meeting new people may seem daunting at first, but retracing your steps to university can help augment your personal and professional skills and accelerate your progress in your career trajectory. It was the best decision I have taken in a while. (The last best decision was getting a rice cooker.) Looking forward, I see myself in a hybrid tech-business role with a new addition – starting a social enterprise for young girls in tech. No matter your work experience (in hours or years), if you want to be at the forefront of innovations, there is no better place to upskill than on the IME course.

Written by current Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship MSc student, Manya