Unforgettable European escapades: exploring Italy and Spain from Manchester

by | May 9, 2023 | Education, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Over Easter holiday, I travelled to Europe from Manchester for eight days. Experiencing the fascinating rich history, vibrant culture and breathtaking sights of Italy and Spain were definitely a remarkable adventure and places worth the visit. 

First stop: Venice, Italy

Venice

Venice

The adventure began with a flight from Manchester to Venice. Venice is made up of islands connected by picturesque canals, which you can explore by gondola or vaporetto (water bus). Explore Piazza San Marco and admire the architecture of the Basilica, Palazzo Ducale and Campanile. Wandering through the maze of narrow streets, I visited the iconic Ponte di Rialto and soaked up the romantic atmosphere while enjoying delicious Italian gelato.

The Fashion Capital of Italy: Milan

Milan

Milan

I continued my Italian journey in Milan, the capital of fashion and design. Make sure to visit the Milan Cathedral and enjoy shopping therapy and a traditional Italian espresso in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, one of the oldest shopping malls in the world. I wanted to see Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper at the Abbey of Santa Maria delle Grazie but couldn’t because the tickets were sold out. As I travelled with a football enthusiast, I visited the San Siro stadium, home to AC Milan and Inter Milan.

Barcelona

Barcelona

Rich cosmopolitan of Spain: Barcelona

Next, I visited Barcelona and immersed myself in the vibrant city. I was fascinated by Gaudi’s architectural masterpieces, including the La Sagrada Familia and Park Güell. Then strolled along the bustling Las Ramblas and soaked up the history of the Gothic Quarter, lined with shops, bars and cafés.

Last stop: Madrid, Spain

in Park Güell

in Park Güell

The capital of Spain, Madrid, rounded off the European leg of the trip. Madrid is a city full of world-class museums, stunning architecture, and energetic nightlife. Prado Museum – the largest royal palace in Europe, offered a wonderful collection of Spanish and European art. I enjoyed a leisurely stroll through Retiro Park and sampled Madrid’s delicious gastronomic delights with tapas at a local bar. The mushrooms I had at Tapas were absolutely delicious.

A trip from Manchester to the enchanting cities of Venice, Milan, Barcelona and Madrid promises an unforgettable European adventure. Each city offers its own charm, attractions and cultural experiences, ensuring a journey full of history, beauty and excitement. Follow the advice and enjoy your European journey to the fullest: buon viaggio and buen viaje!

Written by Akiko, current BSc Education student at The University of Manchester.