What I’ve gained from student societies at Manchester

by | May 9, 2023 | Undergraduate | 0 comments

Written by Aoife Chan, a 2nd year English Literature and Creative Writing student.

As a second year student in the university’s English Literature with Creative Writing undergraduate program, creative work plays a huge part of my school life, in both academics and in extra-curriculars. I am active in both the Creative Writing Society and Fuse TV, where I am regularly given opportunities to take part in a multitude of creative projects alongside other students who share similar interests. As this year’s Secretary for the Creative Writing Society, I have developed my leadership and organisational skills alongside the rest of the leadership committee, and also have had the platform to pitch projects such as the Creative Writing Zine and Open Mic Night through the Society.

I joined both societies as a way of getting more involved with the student creative scene in Manchester, and to build my own portfolio and interests through events and projects planned by the Societies. I like the collaborative and social aspect of societies in the University, where I have been able to make friends through common interests in working on independent creative projects. Having worked on the production of two short film projects with Fuse TV this academic year, I have been able to further exercise and put into practice screenwriting and filmmaking skills in a flexible environment outside the requirements of academic coursework. I have also always enjoyed how student-led many Societies are run, allowing us to tailor our learning experiences and opportunities independently, and in direct ways that most interest the students taking part. Being a part of both societies this year has helped me not just to build my portfolio in creative writing and filmmaking, but also as a place to make likeminded friends outside of my degree.

I would highly recommend joining a society as a way of making the most out of one’s time in University, as the resources and opportunities afforded makes developing a special interest, or discovering a new one, easily accessible. Apart from specific skills related to special interests or activities, societies are also a good way of developing interpersonal and leadership skills, in establishing new routines and goals. For those who are looking to further develop an existing interest, societies are a great place to network with others in the scene, and further grow their passions by putting into practice what they learn through opportunities offered through projects and events. For those who want to discover something new, the wide range of societies available cater to interests in a variety of areas, covering just about any special interest you could imagine.

The welcoming and beginner-friendly environments of many societies make barriers of entry accessible for first years as well, which I would encourage greatly. Being active in societies in my second year has greatly supplemented my university experience, and I look forward to continuing this trajectory of learning in my next academic year.