Why joining societies is an ‘extremely rewarding experience’!

by | May 9, 2023 | Undergraduate | 0 comments

Written by Diana Rotar, a current 3rd year English Literature and Creative Writing student.

Approaching the end of my final year, I’ve had the chance to try out a diverse range of societies. The Warped Fantasy Society, which I joined in my second year, stands out the most to me. They hosted a variety of fantasy-related events, including Lord of the Rings quizzes and Star Wars screenings, collaborated with other societies, and formed the university’s fantasy book club. I joined their committee in my third year as the book-officer. My tasks involve the planning of book club events, creating social media posts, and overlooking that all events run smoothly. I have also been the society’s inclusion officer, in charge of making sure that everyone feels comfortable within the group. I stay in touch with other committee members, as we exchange creative ideas to make the society even more rewarding.

In addition to the Warped Fantasy Society, I have also been a member of other societies such as the Gaming Society, which hosts tournaments ranging from Mario Kart to Super Smash Bros, the Astrophysics Society – what better way to spend the evening than with biscuits and stargazing, and the magic society, which has even made a trip to an international magic convention.

I joined societies to meet people who have similar interests as me. In my course, for example, there weren’t many Lord of the Rings or Marvel fans. Through societies, I was able to meet people from different courses who I wouldn’t have met otherwise. Additionally, I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people – joining a society is the perfect opportunity to level up your social skills.

It has been an extremely rewarding experience to join these societies. As part of the fantasy and gaming societies, I definitely enjoyed debating about the things that interested me and hearing different viewpoints. It was nice to get a break in between classes that not only enabled me to pursue my interests, but also share them with others! In particular, I enjoyed meeting people from completely different courses – physics, computer science, biomedical engineering, and the list goes on. Their university experiences are completely different from mine – not only because they are on the other side of campus – but because their classes are structured differently. It was also interesting to hear about completely different subjects! I’ve made great friends through societies and can definitely recommend everyone to join one.

Besides enabling you to go after your interests or exploring new interests, societies are especially rewarding because of the social experience. It can be difficult to meet new people, but it is so easy through societies, as you already have something in common with others. Joining societies really gets you out of your comfort zone, as they offer new activities, and enable you to meet people outside of your course!