My Experience Studying Politics and Russian

by | Jan 5, 2024 | Languages and Cultures, Politics, Philosophy and Economics, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi! My name is Sofia, and I am currently in my fourth year of my Politics and Russian undergraduate degree at The University of Manchester. I chose to study here because the university matches the diversity and vibrancy of the city. My degree gives me a wide range of politics modules to choose from and my Russian language tutors have helped me learn the language so quickly! In year one, I had some compulsory modules for both sides of my degree. For politics, I had to choose two modules from Comparative Politics, International Politics, and Political Theory. I found the modules vital groundwork for future politics modules offered in later years. Whereas for Russian, alongside my compulsory language classes, I had a Russian history module, which I found interesting in understanding Russian culture better. From year two onwards however, I’ve had a variety of politics modules to choose from like Southern-European politics and Race, Ethnicity and Migration. My politics lecturers are always enthusiastic, and some modules involve group presentations or discussions in tutorials which gives you the chance to learn new skills, other than essay-writing. My language classes are small which has helped me create strong bonds and friendships with my classmates. I think is great because it’s easy to get support from peers, especially when you’re on your year abroad! For my year abroad, I was also given a lot of support from the Russian department for my trip by providing extra oral classes and sorting out last minute placements due to unforeseen circumstances.

If I had to pick a part of university that I love the most, it would be the vast opportunities to get involved in the student community. The university has a large student union where you can become part of so many events and societies. From the Spanish society to the mergers and acquisitions society, there is a space for everyone at the university. Getting involved in a society will help you develop strong networks and learn new skills that are great for future job applications. But getting involved in a society doesn’t have to just benefit you work wise. This year my friends and I joined the Salsa and Bachata society which has been great activity for me to unwind after a busy week and I have made new friends. Not only are there opportunities to join societies, but you can also find jobs around the university that are flexible for students. I have been working at the student union café as a supervisor for two years now. The pay is great, and the hours are flexible, so you wouldn’t find yourself sacrificing study time for part-time work.

Studying here has helped me grow personally as well as academically. Through my degree and getting involved in university life, I have learnt new skills, learned more about opportunities after university, and met amazing people.

Written by Sofia Brooke, a final year BA Politics and Russian student