My Experience Studying Musicology

by | Jan 8, 2024 | Arts, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Musicology is an interesting and engaging course to study here at the University of Manchester. It has a great variety of modules to choose from and the music department as a whole has many opportunities to get involved with no matter what genre of music you like. The staff and students help to provide a motivating environment to work in which really helps me feel creative and inspired! Although I have only taken one semester of lectures so far, I have found the topics fascinating. One of my favourite modules has been Historical and Editorial Skills where we study manuscripts and early printed sources and learn how to prepare critical editions of music. Next semester, I am looking forward to working on my dissertation on the changing use of flute in several of Berlioz’s works, as well as furthering other interests through modules such as Popular Music and Identity and Advanced Orchestration.

My first semester has been very successful so far. I have learnt a lot through my studies, as well as meeting lots of lovely classmates who help support my learning through our discussions about everyone’s different specialisms! Being part of the Manchester University Music Society has also been rewarding as it gives me the opportunity to meet new people from many different years and courses and engage in music performance as well as academic music. I have also been involved in the extracurricular Outreach Orchestra which has been entertaining and beneficial. Last week we visited an SEN school to provide them with an interactive concert where they could have a go at conducting us! It was a great experience and made my day seeing the kids enjoy themselves so much.

One of things I love most about studying musicology is that my weeks have so much variety that they never look the same! However, I have outlined last week’s activities below to give an idea of what I get up to sometimes. Monday started with a lecture on the use of AI in digital research before I headed to the library to do some work. In the evening I went to a symphony orchestra rehearsal to practice Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique for our upcoming concert. On Tuesday I got up early to work on my assignments before cycling to my Historical and Editorial lecture where we presented our findings from the week on early printed sources. On Wednesday I took the opportunity to do some flute practice before going into uni for another symphony rehearsal. In the evening I got the bus to Ancoats to go to a Hallé choir rehearsal (the choir attached to the Hallé orchestra) to run through Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloe with Sir Mark Elder for our concert the next week. On Thursday I had a meeting with my dissertation supervisor to discuss my project before going to watch the performance workshops and the Music Research Forum held by the music department staff. Friday started with a lecture on the issues and approaches found within musicology. I then headed home to get some work done for the next week. On Saturday I had the final run through for the symphony concert before collecting my friends who were coming to watch. The concert went well so my friends and I went to the pub to celebrate. Finally, Sunday was a relaxing day spent with friends and preparing for the busy week ahead!

Written by Charlotte Ballard, a MusM Music (Musicology) student