A look into BASS: Politics and Anthropology

by | Jan 10, 2024 | Sociology, Social Anthropology and Social Statistics, Uncategorised, Undergraduate | 0 comments

My name is Lily, and I am a third-year student studying Politics and Social Anthropology on the BA Social Sciences (BASS) course. I chose this degree as I find politics to be very interesting, and I have been able to explore politics from an anthropological perspective, broadening my knowledge and my understanding of different areas of politics.

The BASS course is very flexible as it allows students to choose courses from each of the six subjects that the BASS course hosts, alongside your chosen subject(s). Therefore, this means that you are able to explore interests in different subjects, for example, I have been able to take courses from subjects such as Criminology alongside my politics and anthropology modules. You take a mix of compulsory and optional modules that allow you to learn the foundations of your specialised subjects, whilst also being able to explore content that is interesting and relevant to you.

Both Politics and Anthropology offer a wide range of modules that allow you to explore different aspects of the subjects. For example, in Politics, you can study modules about international politics and relations, with emphasis on other countries, such as Southern Europe or Asia.

Lecturers are always enthusiastic about their modules and research, so don’t be afraid to reach out to them for feedback or help!

Manchester offers a bustling and vibrant student life as there is always something to do! The city is home to great places to shop, and a great nightlife. Exploring the Northern Quarter or wandering along Market Street means that there is always something new to discover.

The university contains hundreds of different societies, where you will be able to find new passions and meet new people! There is a society for everyone, whether you want to learn a new language or discover a new love for a sport.

At Manchester, you have the opportunity to study abroad, whether it be a year, semester, or if these options feel too long, then you can spend a month of your summer studying abroad. I chose the latter and, in the summer after my first year of university, I spent July studying beginners French in Lyon, France. This was an amazing opportunity where I got to meet, and make friends with, people from all around the world, whilst being immersed in a new culture.

Overall, I would strongly recommend the University of Manchester as it offers many different experiences and opportunities. I also encourage you to consider taking the BASS course as it allows for flexibility within your degree and broadens your knowledge of social sciences that you would not normally have studied.

By Lily Cheetham, a current BASS student