Representing the University as a Student Ambassador

by | Mar 1, 2024 | Alumni/careers, AMBS | 0 comments

Hi! I’m Tim Mickleburgh. I’m from Greater Manchester, England. I graduated from The University of Manchester with a first-class BSc Accounting degree in 2023. Here’s what I got up to when I was a Student Ambassador during my final year at the university.

Answering questions from prospective students

Tim chatting to guests during an Open Day

I used the Unibuddy web chat on the university’s website to answer questions from those who were considering applying to the university, and those who already held offers to study at the university in the next academic year. I answered their questions about university applications, the BSc Accounting programme, and student life at the university.

Writing blogs

I’ve loved writing blogs for the university’s website such as the one that you’re reading now. I’ve written blogs about student life at The University, the summer internship I did during my second year, and the application and selection process that I went through to secure my graduate job.

Assisting at open days

I helped out at Open Days at Alliance Manchester Business School. I welcomed guests at the entrance and directed them to the lecture theatres where the Programme Directors were hosting talks about their programmes. Me and my course mates Sunny and Janita supported our Programme Director Reimi Sivalingam at the talks about the BSc Accounting programme, and we answered questions from guests as part of Q&A panels at the end of the talks. I also took guests on tours of the building, showing them the lecture theatres, study rooms, and the library.

Filming video content

I spoke about my experience on the BSc Accounting programme in a video which was sent to offer holders who would be joining the BSc Accounting programme in the next academic year.

Presenting in front of new students

I gave a presentation about my three years at the university in front of around 275 new students at the University’s Meet our Student Ambassadors sessions. My fellow Student Ambassadors Joanne and Devon also gave their own presentations, and we answered questions from students afterwards.

Ambassador work in AMBS

Taking new students on campus tours

I really enjoyed taking groups of new students on tours of the university campus, showing them the Alan Gilbert Learning Commons, the Main Library, the Old Quadrangle, and the Queen’s Arch among many other places around the campus. My fellow Student Ambassadors Joanne and Devon also hosted their own campus tours on the same days as me.

Assisting at farewell ceremonies

I helped out at farewell ceremonies for departing students, which were held at Whitworth Hall. There were two ceremonies – one in the morning and one in the afternoon. My fellow Student Ambassadors Devon and Hoi Kit also helped out, and it marked my final day as a Student Ambassador.

I really enjoyed being a Student Ambassador throughout my final year at The University of Manchester, and I would highly recommend other students to become one too. I will treasure my purple Student Ambassador t-shirt forever!

Written by Tim, BSc Accounting graduate – Class of 2023